ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Idea for a 3d animation... need newb Ae help...

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
geestring
Idea for a 3d animation... need newb Ae help...
on Apr 11, 2006 at 2:08:49 am

Ok so I plan on having a 3d scene with 3d dancing robots doing their thing... differetn camera angles etc..

What I want to do is have a 2d silohoutte of a crowd cheering. However I want that 2d crowd to be 3d if you know what I mean.

Ok people tell me I should add the crowd in after using AE. How can this be done?

first off hopefully I can get a green screen and record some friends cheering, add some filters make it black. now how can I make it look like the crowd is behind the robots but still in the scene. Is this the best way of doing it?

Return to posts index

A.N.
Re: Idea for a 3d animation... need newb Ae help...
by
on Apr 11, 2006 at 3:07:05 am

First of all, you're not going to be able to give depth to any layer in AE without plug-ins. But I guess that won't make a difference, if you're using a silohoutte. What you need to do, is turn on the layer's 3D switch, and set up in 3D space where you want it.

Return to posts index

the_harryjf
on Apr 11, 2006 at 3:08:23 pm

Particular can do an amazing job at this. Check this out:

http://belief.com/stage/index.php?section=process&project=02.Zoom%20Network...

or

http://tinyurl.com/b3lst

I have these settings all ready to go for an upcoming 4th of July Fireworks promo that I'll be doing.

Just put the robots on the topmost layer for your comp.

Return to posts index

geestring
on Apr 11, 2006 at 4:20:33 pm

wow cool links... however that crowd is kind of 3d in that he doesnt pan around...

I want my crowd to be like a 2d piece of paper, i want that piece of paper to be composited in my robot scene which is all made in 3d max and rendered there. Of course I would use 3d layer and camera match with my robot animation.. but how would I make it look like its behind the robots.

Return to posts index

Dex Craig
on Apr 11, 2006 at 8:58:24 pm

I see two possibilities:

One, render your robots in Max with an alpha channel background so you can lay them atop the layer of your cheering crowd in AfterEffects.

Two, prerender your cheering crowd in AE with an alpha channel and map them onto a plane in Max behind the robots.

Either should give you the look you're seeking.

- Dex

http://www.pandemoniummovie.com

Return to posts index

geestring
on Apr 11, 2006 at 11:16:48 pm

the first possibility I dont want to do because I also want the environment that the robots are in. I'm only using AE for the crowd. The pre-render part... I heard people say you don't want unecessary things to render. hmmm I guess rendering a video crowd within 3dsmax without making render times longer?

one question. what do you do if you wanted to put the crowd in behind an object using masking or something? what do they call that in the biz? haha Sorry I don't really know how to explain it.

Return to posts index

Dex Craig
on Apr 13, 2006 at 11:16:27 pm

You're talking about rotoscoping, then, if you want to take an existing movie (say your Max render) and composite other video footage into it, so it looks like it's behind the foreground subject.

It's tedious, but not impossible. There are a ton of tutorials on rotoscoping around; you can search here or google "rotoscoping."

As for mapping video with an alpha channel onto a plane in Max, I don't work with max much, myself, but in my experience, it doesn't add a huge amount of render time. You might give it a try; it might well be faster than you think.

Good luck.
- Dex

Return to posts index

geestring
on Apr 17, 2006 at 8:17:48 pm

sounds good.

one question maybe theres an option in 3d applications that render out an alpha channel for just the robots rendered? and that seperate alpha channel will be applied on top of the crowd in AE?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]