ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

okay make fun of me all you like...

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
DeaditteX
okay make fun of me all you like...
on Mar 27, 2006 at 11:12:20 pm

I have been working with AE for like 3 years now... and yet I do not understand the concept of expressions would someone explain them too me.. how to implement them, how to right them ... Etc... you know when you finish laughing ...

Return to posts index

John Dickinson
Re: okay make fun of me all you like...
on Mar 27, 2006 at 11:22:24 pm

http:http://www.motionscript.com

JD

John Dickinson
Motionworks
http://www.motionworks.com.au

Return to posts index

Michael Munkittrick
on Mar 28, 2006 at 5:44:58 am

No need to poke fun at all. Expressions are pretty serious business and the complete grasp of the concept, while mastered by few is still very much in its infancy with respect to After Effects.

The first thing that needs to be understood is that AE scripting isn't actually specialized code and in fact can be pretty well explained by anyone who has some in depth knowledge of Java. The most complete resource by far is the web as there are far too many still incomprehendable uses for expressions and they will always make modifications...so unlike women, Java is complex (Just kidding ladies).

The first and most advisable option wouldbe to review the tutorials here at the COW as the authors are all very well versed in communicating ideas to the masses in a pretty easy to understand way. As a matter of further comprehension of the scripting capabilities of AE, you really need to look at each idea as it presents itself. The best, or at least the most efficient means of grasping AE scripting is real-world useage that you can directly place into a project that you construct yourself. Above all, understand that there is no "bible" for Java as it relates to AE as of yet, and while there are books titled "Java bibles" out there, they are all more numbers and confusion than my poor old mind can handle.

Keep plugging away.

PS - Forgive the mistypes as I'm on a broken keyboard tonight.

Michael Munkittrick
Gainesville, Florida USA

Return to posts index

Steve Roberts
on Mar 28, 2006 at 2:19:32 pm

Sorry, just checking:

Expressions are based on Javascript, yes?
... while AE's scripting is based on Java?

Steve
(having Fortran flashbacks)

Return to posts index

Colin Braley
on Mar 28, 2006 at 2:36:27 pm

Both scripting and expressions are based on javascript. Java is a whole separate language used for much different tasks than javascript.
~colin

Return to posts index

Michael Munkittrick
on Mar 28, 2006 at 4:05:13 pm

I'm sorry guy, I didn't mean to be confusing. "Javascript" is the specific code used to communicate with AE whereas "Java" is a programming environment. I sometimes forget that the two terms aren't interchangable.

Michael Munkittrick
Gainesville, Florida USA

Return to posts index

yikesmikes
on Mar 28, 2006 at 4:33:46 pm

Java maybe the answer. Too much java, too much caffeine = sleepless nights and voices from the shadows.

Lay off the java.

Return to posts index

Dex Craig
on Mar 28, 2006 at 10:52:01 pm

Hey, I've been using AfterEffects since it was made by Cosa and I still can't quite wrap my brain around expressions. (Though they're fairly new in the grand scheme of the program.) That said, my answer was to marry a professional programmer who can handle all my scripting needs.

Now, I can just sit here and say, "honey, I need a script to do a subtle edge blur in a chroma key. Can you whip one out for me?" Soon enough, there it is.

- Dex

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
podcasts
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]