ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Opening a project from After Effects 7.0 in After Effects 6.5

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
kcdesigner75
Opening a project from After Effects 7.0 in After Effects 6.5
on Feb 6, 2006 at 2:33:48 am

My AE 7.0 project won't open in AE 6.5. Is there any workaround or anything?
I have AE 7.0 at home and the company I work for has AE 6.5 and are not upgrading right away...

Return to posts index

Mylenium
Re: Opening a project from After Effects 7.0 in After Effects 6.5
on Feb 6, 2006 at 3:45:02 am

Nope, no way. Like in the past, projects of newer versions are not backward compatible to older version.

Mylenium

Return to posts index

Sami Syrj
on Feb 6, 2006 at 7:29:02 am

I wonder why it has to be this way. The same thing can be done in other Adobe programs, so why not in After Effects? The advances between versions don't seem that big, that you couldn't make the project files compatible at least with the previous one or two versions of the program.

With the way it is now, we have to update all AE licences at the same time to be able to exchange projects between workstations. As an example, I teach AE part time in a design college, and I can't open my project files there if they haven't updated the software.

Maybe AE 7.5 could add this feature. I have sent a feature request to Adobe.

Sami

Return to posts index

Mylenium
on Feb 6, 2006 at 8:36:46 am

[Sami Syrj

Return to posts index

Sami Syrj
on Feb 6, 2006 at 6:36:06 pm

Maybe it is only a tiny minority who would find this feature useful, I don't know. However I've encountered the issue several times by now, for myself as well as others.

In my opinion it would be more convenient to be able to transfer projects from version to version, as I always prefer to work in the latest version available. I'm not going to start a project in an old version 'just in case I'll need it later on', and the need may arise much later so I wouldn't know it in advance. Having older versions on the same computer is therefore useless to me. And of course I'm not going to recreate a large project all over again in an old version of AE, that would take ages. Maybe having all the old versions of AE works for you (do you ever use them?), but I don't see the point in that. I do admit that I only need to move projects around a few times per year, so it's not such a big problem that I'd lose sleep over it.

I'm in no way familiar with programming so I may be completely wrong, but allowing the project file to open in another version of the program, as long as it supports the features used in the project, doesn't seem like a big deal. How much overhead would that add? Photoshop and Illustrator do it.

all the best
Sami

Return to posts index

Mylenium
on Feb 6, 2006 at 7:28:41 pm

[Sami Syrj

Return to posts index

Sami Syrj
on Feb 7, 2006 at 7:15:28 am

Yeah I mentioned PS and Illustrator only because they too are made by Adobe. Comparing AE to other motion graphics software will certainly be more realistic. Does Combustion have this feature? Anyway, you are probably right in saying that it doesn't make sense to set aside people to do a converter. I'm just saying that it would be a nice feature to have, even if it only allowed the projects to be opened in a limited way, without the latest features.

Sami

Return to posts index

Stone Reader
on Feb 6, 2006 at 4:42:32 pm

With the way it is now, we have to update all AE licences at the same time...

Exactly what they want. More $$ for them.

Return to posts index

yikesmikes
on Feb 6, 2006 at 7:45:34 am

You can export layers as mov or avi, you can copy and paste keyframes, with a little fore thought you can transfer a project down to you earlier AE, it's just not nearly as convenient as being able to open an aep, but maybe better than nothing.

I presume you trying AE& and want to put a project back in you lower AE.

Or maybe this is a pretty stupid solution.

Return to posts index

kcdesigner75
on Feb 6, 2006 at 4:07:50 pm

Luckily, it's an easy project so I can just recreate it in 6.5

Thanks for the thoughts though.

Return to posts index

Matthew Daday
on Feb 6, 2006 at 6:25:17 pm

I wonder what the legalities would be for having old versions of the software installed. Once you use your serial to upgrade, it becomes part of the newest version of the software. Thats why it is cheaper to upgrade. Keeping several old copies of software may be a workaround, but you can't honestly sit there and say that being able to reverse save to any version wouldn't be an asset to your workflow. Photoshop, and Illustrator do it, After Effects should be no different.
Matt

Return to posts index

Aharon Rabinowitz
on Feb 6, 2006 at 6:30:10 pm

This is standard with most animation packages. Opening anything from a later version of maya in an older one is pretty difficult, adn you oftyen lose data.

With AE, every version of AE has new features, and if those are utilized, then how could an older version of AE open them?

Not that I'm not saying it wouldn't be nice, but It wouldn't work the way you expect it to.

Who knows, maybe someone will come out with a script that could remove all references to new features and then convert it for an older version - I think someone did that with Maya. That would be cool, but again, probably not what you'd expect when you opened it.

On the other hand, if you need to copy position data or any other data from 7 to 6.5, you can, you just have to have a text program (like notepad) and be willing to make minor chages to the code.

For example AE 6.5 code is written like this:

Adobe After Effects 6.5 Keyframe Data

Units Per Second 30
Source Width 320
Source Height 240
Source Pixel Aspect Ratio 1
Comp Pixel Aspect Ratio 1

Position
Frame X pixels Y pixels Z pixels
0 160 120 0
8 226 186 0
15 297 111 0

End of Keyframe Data

Whereas 7 has some other data (in bold) that needs to be changed or removed:

Adobe After Effects 7.0 Keyframe Data

Units Per Second 29.97
Source Width 720
Source Height 480
Source Pixel Aspect Ratio 1.2
Comp Pixel Aspect Ratio 1

Transform Position
Frame X pixels Y pixels Z pixels
0 160 120 0
8 226 186 0
15 297 111 0

End of Keyframe Data

Change 7.0 to read as 6.5, and delete the word transform, so that Position (or rotation or whatever) is all the way to the left.

Then copy and paste the whole thing into AE 6.5

----------------------------------------
Aharon Rabinowitz
aharon(AT)yahoo(DOT)com
http://www.allbetsareoff.com
Creative Cow Master Series DVD
particleIllusion Fusion Volume 1
available @ http://www.pIllusionFusion.com

Return to posts index

cow
Steve Roberts
on Feb 6, 2006 at 6:56:32 pm

I think the AE team is well aware of this, since it has probably been a feature request since 4.0 or earlier.

My assumption is that it is possible, but the team naturally has to balance and set priorities, and the addition of a backwards-compatibility feature may require much more reprogramming than the addition of multiple new features or the improvement of multiple existing features.

Backwards compatibility isn't an issue for me, but then again I don't have to share AEPs with many people outside. Nevertheless, I keep 5.5 and 6.0 around just in case.

... and I wouldn't really compare AE with PS or AI, since they're not nearly as complex as AE. Comparing AE with animation apps seems to make more sense.

my 2 cents,
Steve

Return to posts index

Rhett Robinson
on Feb 6, 2006 at 9:50:13 pm

I was thinking there probably is a way, by changing some of the info (in a text editor) to fool it to open in AE 6.5, but it very likely would lose some info. I did this with Quark, using 4.0, until 6.5 came out, and rarely did it comletely destroy it, although there were definitely things that had to be fixed.

Just a thought... does copy-paste work from 7.0 to 6.5? Keyframes and all?

Rhett

Return to posts index

Aharon Rabinowitz
on Feb 6, 2006 at 10:00:39 pm

For effects it actually seems to work without any real hassle more or less - although you may need to paste it into a text editor first and then copy it. Not sure. Just give it a shot. I did it that way with the Levels effect and it worked fine.

On the other hand, as i explained above - you need the text editor for transform data (position, rotation...etc.) because you have to actually edit the text before pasting the data ionto AE 6.5. It's not to big a deal though.

Aharon Rabinowitz
aharon(AT)yahoo(DOT)com
Creative Cow Master Series DVD
particleIllusion Fusion Volume 1
available @ http://www.pIllusionFusion.com

Return to posts index

GRayMan
on Feb 24, 2007 at 10:13:32 pm

Soooo... we have established that reverse compatibilty is a solid no go, but I am curious if I can take the project that I start at school every week on 6.5 Pro and then load/finish the project at home on 7.0 Pro. My instructor will allow me to turn in projects on cd/dvd format so I would not have to return to the 6.5 Pro platform.

Ummm.. does that make sense??

First time poster btw!! *waves at all the smart ppl* hi guys!

Return to posts index

Aharon Rabinowitz
on Feb 24, 2007 at 11:43:29 pm

you can open AE 6.5 projects in 7. No problem. Once you save them , though, you won't be able to open them in 6.5 again.

Aharon Rabinowitz
aharon(AT)yahoo(DOT)com

Click the link below to subscribe to the Creative Cow After Effects Podcast, and get free AE video tutorials:

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=111087911

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]