ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Is 5.1 surround sound on AE&? If not, Feature Request?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
yikesmikes
Is 5.1 surround sound on AE&? If not, Feature Request?
on Jan 18, 2006 at 12:28:43 am

Hey folks, since it seems they'll be lots of feature requests zooming into Adobe for AE7.5. How about you all add to your list support for 5.1 Surround Sound, just think how cool it would be to have a layer fly around in AE's 3D space and have that layer's sound ripple around the room. I bet Dan Ebbert could have fun with expressions and Surround Sound.

Come on gang, join the band and send in that request.

Pleae disreguard if this was added in AE7.

Return to posts index

lessevolvedman
Re: Is 5.1 surround sound on AE&? If not, Feature Request?
on Jan 18, 2006 at 5:29:12 am

amen to that

Return to posts index

Filip Vandueren
on Jan 18, 2006 at 2:16:05 pm

Well, if you disregard stuff like the doppler effect and ambience, and just want a mixdown of the relative levels in relation to some virtual microphones, it wouldn't be too hard to do right now.

Just duplicate all the layers that have sound and pre-comp them.
duplicate that pre-comp once for every speaker and then write a simple expression that calculates the distance from the layer to the position of the mic, subtract that value from the current dB-level.
Add in a damping-co

Return to posts index

Filip Vandueren
on Jan 18, 2006 at 2:16:05 pm

Well, if you disregard stuff like the doppler effect and ambience, and just want a mixdown of the relative levels in relation to some virtual microphones, it wouldn't be too hard to do right now.

Just duplicate all the layers that have sound and pre-comp them.
duplicate that pre-comp once for every speaker and then write a simple expression that calculates the distance from the layer to the position of the mic, subtract that value from the current dB-level.
Add in a damping-co

Return to posts index

Filip Vandueren
Doppler audio test
on Jan 18, 2006 at 3:59:19 pm

Decided to have some fun:

here's the gist of my idea for stereo, with even some doppler added 8-)

the audio is a motor at constant speed,
the distance from "+" to L and from "+" to R is calculated and used to lower the volumes and is also added to the time-remapping.
It's factored by a "speed of sound", so you get accurate delays and hence automatically a doppler if it moves.

for 5.1, you would do the exact same thing, place some more 'mics'.
Perhaps use a "layer"-expression-control on a null-layer, to select which mike you want to hear.
Let all the audio-expressions reference that layer-selector, and you get a more elegant solution.

project-files are here:

http://www.vandueren.be/forumstuff/doppler/

BTW, this works in 3D.

Return to posts index

yikesmikes
Re: Doppler audio test
on Jan 18, 2006 at 5:32:08 pm

Very cool. I'll give it an under the hood look, because I don't really now all that's going on from the text. hanks for posting the aep.

Return to posts index

lessevolvedman
Re: Doppler audio test
on Jan 19, 2006 at 12:50:03 am

double thanx filip
i got some disecting to do now

Return to posts index

Filip Vandueren
7.1 mic setup test
on Jan 19, 2006 at 12:43:57 pm

I made a new project with a 7.1 setup, lol
haven't tested the final output, and my solution for doppler turns out to be not that full-proof: you'll hear a sudden speed change to normal when the layer suddenly stops. Easing helps.
But anyway, that doppler thing is easily switched off by turning off the time-remapping-expression

Here's the new project, it works with a "select mic" layer, so you can hear/render one mic at a time, and it's set-up in 3D,
I'd love to hear some feedback if someone winds up doing a monitoring test. (well not actual feedback ;-) )

http://www.vandueren.be/forumstuff/doppler/sevendot1.aep

some tips for testing:
1) to choose a "speed of sound"-value: (only needed fpr the doppler effect)
imagine at what speed your layer is moving, for example 36 mph.
Look at the pixel-speed, for example: 287 px/s
now google - no really:

speed of sound * 287/36 in mph
link:speed of sound * 287/36 in mph

and that's your physically accurate speed of sound in pixels/second (now if only I could factor out sea-level ;-) )

2) If you parent the soundlayers, or the mics to a null or a camera or whatever, the expressions have to be rewritten (toWorld...), because they assume worldspace co

Return to posts index

lessevolvedman
Re: 7.1 mic setup test
on Jan 21, 2006 at 9:39:51 am

haha GO FILIP GO!!

Return to posts index

Yones Rahmati
Re: 7.1 mic setup test
on Jun 28, 2014 at 5:51:16 pm

Hi Filip Vandueren,
Thanks for your work towards surround processing in after effects. I'm very interested in moving forward with a project that is requiring surround sound in AE and I came upon this post. Problem is the link for the project file posted does not work. Any way I can get access to it? Thanks so much for any help.

Return to posts index

Simon Bailey
on Feb 13, 2016 at 10:22:32 am

I think it might be better and faster to work if Audition could import AE camera positions and allow sounds to be assigned to layer names.

That way you could work on 5.1 in Audition with its speed and features rather than AE's pre-render etc.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]