ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Creating a seamless box

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Zarxrax
Creating a seamless box
on Nov 6, 2005 at 12:32:52 am

I am trying to create a box in After Effects, but the resulting box has visible seams at the edges. I have a point light inside the box, and it lights up the edges of the box. It seems that I have to have an overlap of at least 3 pixels to cover up the seams, but this much overlap is visually noticable. Is there something obvious that I am overlooking here, or does AE just not like joining 3d objects together seamlessly?

Its not solely an issue with lights, because I could also clearly see the seams as I was building the box and before I introduced any lights into the composition.

Return to posts index

Dan Ebberts
Re: Creating a seamless box
on Nov 6, 2005 at 2:15:02 am

Change the blending mode of your layers to "Alpha Add" - it should help.

Dan

Return to posts index

Zarxrax
on Nov 6, 2005 at 2:29:32 am

Hmmm, it didnt really seem to help. And whats worse than the edges even, if I have a light shining on the box to cast shadows, the seams around the edges will cause the shadow to sort of "jut out". On top of that my layers are looking somewhat distorted now. And If I precompose the layers of the box so I can move it around, I cant even get it to cast shadows anymore :(

I think I'll just have to try this in a 3d application. I've always been rather afraid of them, but this seems simple enough... gotta bite the bullet sometime.

Return to posts index

Dan Ebberts
on Nov 6, 2005 at 2:42:48 am

Are your layers rectangular pixels by chance? That's a guaranteed headache. I'd use square pixels in a square pixel comp.

Dan

Return to posts index

Zarxrax
on Nov 6, 2005 at 6:04:24 pm

Yep, I always use square pixels.

Return to posts index

Mylenium
on Nov 6, 2005 at 7:35:53 pm

This is the Antialiasing/ filtering. You can't do anything about it (except turn it off by working with draft quality, but you wouldn't want that). Unfortunately in AE there is no difference between texture filtering and edge antialiasing, so everything is softened, even pixels that are supposed to remain sharp. Look elswhere, if you need a better solution.

Mylenium

[Pour Myl

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]