ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Pass Through in After Effects for blending modes?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
travistevens
Pass Through in After Effects for blending modes?
on Oct 20, 2005 at 9:51:42 pm

Hey guys this is my first post, i know what took me so long.. Anyway I've been using AE and photoshop for quite a bit of time and this is first time i've ever needed to do this so here goes.

In photoshop you cna group layers that have different blending modes and then in the main group you have the option to select "Pass Through" in the blending mode options so that all the blending modes in the group will effect the rest of the document regularly. Well, in AE i have a Pre Comp with one 2 layers. One (the bottom) is Linear Dodge and the second (top) is Luminosity. When i place the precomp in my main time line the color dodge dosn't work as it should, it meerly shows up as a regular layer with no blending mode.

Obviously what i need is to figure out how to have different blending modes in a precomp effect everything beneath it in the main time line. Thanks so much for any and all help

Travis Stevens

Return to posts index

John Dickinson
Re: Pass Through in After Effects for blending modes?
on Oct 20, 2005 at 11:54:40 pm

Click on the "Collapse Transformations" switch for the precomp layer which looks like a little black sun. This will give you what you're after.

JD

John Dickinson
Motionworks
http://www.motionworks.com.au

Return to posts index

travistevens
on Oct 21, 2005 at 2:50:19 am

Thanks for your response but i'm not having any luck with that. It's still not letting the "color dodge" layer in my precomp blend with the rest of the timeline.

Return to posts index

John Dickinson
on Oct 21, 2005 at 6:11:16 am

hmmm, can you take a screen shot and give us a look?

JD

John Dickinson
Motionworks
http://www.motionworks.com.au

Return to posts index

Brad Strickman
on Jun 7, 2010 at 12:39:35 am

5 years later, and multiple versions later this is still an unresolved issue. I don't think enough people encounter this issue for Adobe to solve it, but when you hit it, it is really frustrating.

Return to posts index

Nathaniel Schweinberg
on Nov 27, 2010 at 2:09:31 am

It's working for me... CS4

Return to posts index

Will Eccleston
on Jan 5, 2012 at 10:17:31 pm

It has never worked for me, on CS 3,4,5, and 5.5 on the Mac. And yeah, it's super-annoying.

Will Eccleston
Kinetiscape Films

Return to posts index

Bryan Batcher
on Dec 18, 2015 at 11:01:25 pm

Click the little sun thingy. Worked for me.

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on Dec 20, 2015 at 5:38:28 am

If you add any effects or layer styles to the pre-comp that has collapse transformations enabled then it will break the "pass-through" of the blend modes. The blending mode of the pre-comp should be "-" as in the image Bryan posted, if it's anything else (e.g. "Normal" or "Add") then the blend modes inside the pre-comp are not being used.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Sam Palmer
on Sep 20, 2016 at 9:54:05 am

OK, I think I found out what the problem is having ran into the same problem dozens of times myself.

It's not actually the 'pass through' that's the problem, as everyone has said, the little star/sun icon does that.

What I suspect the problem is, is that the group in photoshop basiaclly has a mask on it which isn't translated to AE when it's brought across. You can see if this is true by opening the file in photoshop, putting a white solid at the top within the group that's being problematic, then dropping a black solid underneath this group.

What you should get is an image like this:

You can then save it as a tiff (no need for layers) and then use it as a Luma Matte for all the items within that group.

Hope that helps!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]