ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

3D stroke vs Particular for certain effect.. Purchase Decision

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gregg Brent
3D stroke vs Particular for certain effect.. Purchase Decision
on Oct 13, 2005 at 3:15:14 pm

I posted this on trapcode but have a feeling AE board answers more quickly.

I'm deciding on which Trapcode plugins to purchase. I can't afford them all and was thinking of the bundle with 3DStroke, Shine and StarGlow.

The one effect I saw in Particular that I could use was called t_OrganicLinesMotion in the Gallery preset. It reminds me on all the ABC lowerthird taglines for upcoming shows.

My question: Can this effect be simulated using 3D stroke?

Thanks for help in purchasing descision.

also do most people feel that the 3S bundle is used most? (i do mostly corporate stuff)

Return to posts index

kurt murphy
Re: 3D stroke vs Particular for certain effect.. Purchase Decision
on Oct 13, 2005 at 3:32:51 pm

<>

From what it looks like, Trapcode's 3D Stroke is used for the ABC stuff (along with countless other commercials, promo's etc...). I recommend ALL Trapcode plug-ins - they are awesome.

kurt murphy

Return to posts index

Chris Smith
on Oct 13, 2005 at 6:57:17 pm

If I had to pick one or the other, I would definitely go with Particular. Particular is open ended and extremely powerful. Particle systems especially great ones like Particular are one of the most powerful tools you can have in your toolbox. Whereas 3D stroke is a specific gimicky thing that has about run it's course. Particles are a timeless thing becuase they can be used in so many different ways. Besides Particular, like you said, has effects that somewhat simulate 3D stroke (in a cooler fashion I might add).

Chris Smith
http://www.sugarfilmproduction.com

Return to posts index

firtich
on Oct 13, 2005 at 8:05:01 pm

Yeah you can use 3d stroke to get something like the effect of trapcode particular's organic line preset...The trick is shown in Creating Liquid LIght by David Zandnerg: http://www.creativecow.net/cgi-bin/page_wrapper.cgi?forumid=2&page=/article...
Now as far $ for the value, it all depends on what you are trying to get out of the package, Trapcode Particular is kick ass but is pricey and has more of learning curve. The Triple S is easy to use,less expensive, and it will enhance your already existing animation techniques
BTW I can't wait till Wondertouch puts out PI as plugin for AE, it will kick the crap out of Particular

Return to posts index

Chris Smith
on Oct 13, 2005 at 10:08:50 pm

PI is not true 3D though is it? Or will it be? Does it instance other layers to particles? To me, that's the power of Particular. However PI does have quite a library of pre-made effects all though 99% of them are a bit cheese :(

Chris Smith
http://www.sugarfilmproduction.com

Return to posts index

firtich
on Oct 14, 2005 at 3:11:16 pm

No it is not 3d, although I hope they change that in later versions. If it is remade as plugin for AE i don't see why it wouldn't allow to instance other layers. The advantage of PI lies in the fact that it is a full fledged particle generator...meaning you have an option of creating deflectors, blockers, forces and superemittors. I don't have as much experience with Particular so i'm under assumption it lacks those options. Those "cheesy" effects that come a plenty with it are highly customizable. You can go a tweak them to your liking and produce your unique looking effects. Right now its downfall lies in being standalone app, which makes your workflow a lot slower because you first have to render out and then put out to AE. On plus side it renders incredibly fast...Another thing it is less expensive than Particular 200 bucks less.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]