ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

PAL to NTSC and Vice Versa

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric
PAL to NTSC and Vice Versa
by
on Aug 15, 2005 at 3:09:35 pm

Hello good COW folk. I have some PAL footage on a hard drive and I would like to know if there's a good process for converting it to NTSC. Since PAL is also interlaced its not as easy as adding some 3:2 Pulldown as far as I can tell. Of course there's some cropping that needs to be done as well. Furthermore, if I had some NTSC footage is there a way to convert it to PAL?

Does anyone have a good method of doing this? I'm not sure if there's a better forum to post this question but I'm sure some After Effects people would know the answer to this.

Thanks in advance for any help.

eric

Return to posts index

Borjis
Re: PAL to NTSC and Vice Versa
on Aug 15, 2005 at 4:33:20 pm

By far the best conversion from either formats via software
can be perfectly accomplished with procoder 2.

everything else is stuttery and might even have audio synch issues.

Return to posts index

Andrew Yoole
on Aug 16, 2005 at 2:15:38 pm

If you use Mac, you can use Apple Compressor 2 (stupidly slow) or for great results try Nattress plugins for FCP.

http://www.nattress.com/standardsConversion.htm

For a cheap and not-terribly nasty conversion on Mac or PC, deinterlace PAL footage, then import to AE, interpret fields upper or lower (which helps to blend fields between frames), drop into NTSC comp, resize to fit and render (no fields).

Return to posts index

Ian Williamson
on Aug 16, 2005 at 2:16:27 pm

I just finished a 7 camera show with 3 NTSC cameras and 4 PALs. After extensive testing I settled on using Twixtor in After Effects. The results both ways look stunning and so far no one has been able to tell which camera was which.

ian

Return to posts index

Eric
Re: PAL to NTSC and Vice Versa - Thanks for your help
by
on Aug 17, 2005 at 11:00:45 pm

Thanks Guys. Your input was very helpful. Obviously some other software option (twixtor, Nattress, etc.) is the way to go.

Cheers,
e

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]