ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Creating Virtual Sets with AE/C4D

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aaron Helton
Creating Virtual Sets with AE/C4D
on Jul 24, 2020 at 6:25:06 am

Above is the link to my virtual set screen test. I used an iphone11 at 30fps, 1080p, to shoot the subject and desk. I took the footage and tracked it in C4D's trial version then built a set around the solved/tracked camera. Then I imported that C4D file/footage into After Effects where it was layered behind a keyed out/masked .mov layer of the same iphone11 footage. I made this on a 9 year old MacBook pro with a dual core i7 and 8 gigs of RAM on a standard intel HD card. I now have a Dell, 8 core i9 with 32 gigs of RAM and a good NVIDIA graphics card.

As you can tell, many frames between the .mov and .c4d layers don't match and there's some noise on the subject and desk during movement.

How would you clean this up and make it more professional? Do I need a DSLR instead, or is there a way to do this with an iphone? Is there better software to achieve this, or do I simply need more experience with AE and C4D?

Return to posts index

Richard Garabedain
Re: Creating Virtual Sets with AE/C4D
on Jul 24, 2020 at 2:30:58 pm

why are you tracking in in c4d? you can do all the tracking inside of after effects. ty the camera tracker in the tracker window..maybe you wont have. I think you will have more control over everything in after effects by itself

Return to posts index

Aaron Helton
on Jul 24, 2020 at 3:00:28 pm

If AE could even solve the footage to begin with, the results would probably be the same, or worse. AE's 3d tracker can't solve long complex shots, fails every time. I can't speak for C4D's motion tracker as a whole but I know it works way better than AE's.

Return to posts index

Graham Quince
on Jul 26, 2020 at 11:32:10 am

It’s a great idea and despite glitches and drifts, every time you move the camera, it helps sell the effect. I’d need to see the original plate to see if I can post any issues, but my guess with C4D would be if the project settings match the video frame rate.

If none of that helps, then you might have to abandon the physical handheld camera and instead shoot with it locked off, but then arrange your video as a 3D layer with a 3D virtual studio. You can move a virtual camera quite a bit before the video layer will look flat. This would certainly be a cheaper alternative to buying more equipment.

http://www.YouTube.com/ShiveringCactus - After Effects Tutorials

Return to posts index

Aaron Helton
on Jul 26, 2020 at 1:40:40 pm

Thanks! You're absolutely right about the fps. I had some issues with the composition being set at 29.974 when the camera and C4D were set to 30. I tried setting everything at 30 in AE but I could have missed something. I was wondering if that could be the issue, thanks for the suggestion. I don't know how to match angles of the c4d virtual set layer without moving the camera. Either way I definitely need to learn WAY more about animating/solving virtual camera movements. Thanks again for the suggestions.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]