ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Need to find plugins/techniques to recreate my magic system in After Effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kristhian Aguilar
Need to find plugins/techniques to recreate my magic system in After Effects
on Jul 21, 2020 at 9:15:41 pm

Hi guys. This is my first time posting, but i'll try to stay concise

For the last 5 days, I've tried recreating my magic system in After Effects in order to make a guide explaining how it works. Because understanding the aestethics of my magic is important to this topic, i'll quickly talk about it:

The Logos is the art of drawing 3D objects using dots and lines. Pretty simple right? Well, here are some rules about the drawing:
1. First, you need to have a bunch of small, blue, semitransparent circles called Logya.
2. Then, you can connect the dots with blue lines, which is what allows object creation.
3. Every time you form a closed shape, a solid semitransparent layer forms. This lets the user create solid items like swords and shields.

In my guide i want to show off the two ways my magic system can look (a sword and a bunch of particles moving around), but i've had varying degrees of success on each. After a bit of googling, I found a plugin called Trapcode Particular that perfectly suited my needs for creating the particles and this is what i managed to create with it:

Unfortunately, i didn't have the same luck with the sword. My friend drew a sword for me to base myself, but as you'll see i wasn't able to replicate the desired effect.

I found a plugin named Plexus] that excels in creating dot and line graphics, but one of the problems i found was that it lacked flexibility, seeing that i couldn't chose which lines connected to which dots or where i wanted the dots to spawn.

I created a mask and added the effect on top, but i could only 'fill' the mask's outline by creating a ton of dots and lines that i didn't want. The closest i got was creating a small trapezoid with my hands using motion tracking:

Note the semitransparent layer, the blue dots and lines that my system requires. However, there are still way too many lines for a simple trapezoid because i can't decide where the lines appear, same thing for the layers.

I thought of creating a bunch of dots and simply connecting them with lines, but i wouldn't know how to add the blue layer. That being said, i would appreciate any advice or links to techniques/plugins i could use to help me out!

Return to posts index

Richard Garabedain
Re: Need to find plugins/techniques to recreate my magic system in After Effects
on Jul 22, 2020 at 2:52:12 pm

What is your magic system and what are you trying to explain....you did not explain a single detail about what this "magic" system is at all...in fact im not sure i see the point of this post at all? but i am curious...what are you trying to achieve with magic system?

Return to posts index

Kristhian Aguilar
Re: Need to find plugins/techniques to recreate my magic system in After Effects
on Jul 22, 2020 at 3:38:51 pm

I thought i had explained it very thoroughly with the 3 points above: The user manipulates a bunch of blue circled particles called Logya and connects them with lines to form objects, like drawing.

I managed to create this yesterday using the pen tool to trace my friend’s drawing and adding the particles later. This took a while, but a guy from Reddit helped me with a script that should speed up the process, so you could say my problem is solved.

I guess the only other issue I’m having is with the transition from particles to shape. In my magic system, a user grabs these particles and connects them to form a shape, one by one. But because i use two different methods for each (Particular for particles and pen tool for object) I don’t know how to move from one state to the other.

Return to posts index

Richard Garabedain
on Jul 22, 2020 at 8:32:03 pm

are you making a game? I just have a hard time understanding why someone would essentially create an alphabet of magic using hand gestures, unless it was for VR, which would make more sense..although Im still unsure what you mean by lyogya...are they actual dots on paper or dots that a ...ok i give up

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]