ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Having a bear of a time working in 3D space in AE

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Finetti
Having a bear of a time working in 3D space in AE
on Jun 28, 2020 at 1:11:05 am

Trying to tie some 3D layers to a null so that when I fly back through an environment ( I created in Stardust) the distance to the camera stays the same but when I tie the object to the camera, either pickwic'd to the layer or position pickwic'd to the layer, the object moves to somewhere else in the environment. I will venmo some $ for help tomorrow (6/28), Pros only. Monday Deadline

Return to posts index

Graham Quince
Re: Having a bear of a time working in 3D space in AE
on Jun 28, 2020 at 12:17:07 pm

It's a little hard to tell from your description, but it sounds like the coordinates are being set as relative to their parent, but Stardust (?) is based off these coordinates.

If you have a 3D Null object at 960, 540, 0 and you have a 3D solid also at 960, 540, 0. If you parent the 3D solid to the Null, its coordinates becomes 0,0,0.

You might need to use an expression like in the Stardust effect's position property. This gets the coordinates of Null and bypasses parenting.

L=thisComp.layer("Null 1");
L.toWorld(L.anchorPoint);

http://www.YouTube.com/ShiveringCactus - After Effects Tutorials

Return to posts index

Chris Finetti
on Jun 28, 2020 at 1:38:38 pm

Stardust is working fine within the space. I just wanted to describe the scene. Basically, I have 3D layers (various objects) and I want to tie them to a null that is tied to a camera. But every time I pickwick the layers to the null, their position changes as soon a connect. I wish I could share my screen as explain. Oh well.

Return to posts index

Graham Quince
on Jun 28, 2020 at 2:46:52 pm

And does the code I suggested work for a non-parented solid? If you use additional nulls located at the positions where you want the solids, then use the code above on your solids’ position properties, then they will follow your null, respond correctly, but should be where you want them in 3D space.

It’s the technique I used for my Mars and moons tutorial.

http://www.YouTube.com/ShiveringCactus - After Effects Tutorials

Return to posts index

Chris Finetti
on Jun 28, 2020 at 6:55:52 pm

Oh, OK. I'll try that. Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]