ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

AMD (PC) vs Intel (Mac) for Adobe After Effects?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Filip Stillerska
AMD (PC) vs Intel (Mac) for Adobe After Effects?
on Jun 26, 2020 at 9:26:45 pm

In general, which processor is better for After Effects - AMD or Intel? I've heard some rumors that Adobe utilizes Intel Quick Sync a lot for After Effects, and therefore Intel is better. Is that true?

I'm currently choosing between two different laptops for After Effects work on the go:

(1) Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2019
2.3GHz 8‑core 9th‑generation Intel Core i9 processor, Turbo Boost up to 4.8GHz
32GB 2666MHz DDR4 memory
AMD Radeon Pro 5500M with 8GB of GDDR6 memory
1TB SSD storage
Cinebench R20 Score (CPU): 3300
Price: 41249 SEK (4420 USD)

(2) Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 14" 2020
3GHz 8‑core AMD Ryzen 9-4900HS processor, Turbo Boost up to 4.3GHz
32GB 3200MHz DDR4 memory
Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 Max-Q
1TB SSD storage
Cinebench R20 Score (CPU): 4400
Price: 22000 SEK (2356 USD)

Obviously, the Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 is, without a doubt, a lot more priceworthy in general, since it's almost half the price of the MacBook Pro 16" and the Asus ROG Zephyrus G14's processor (which After Effects utilizes a lot) is about 33% faster than the MacBook Pro 16".

Is there any reason when it comes to Adobe After Effects why I should choose Mac with Intel over a PC with AMD?

Return to posts index

Andy Ford
Re: AMD (PC) vs Intel (Mac) for Adobe After Effects?
on Jun 27, 2020 at 3:09:19 am

Both processors work well with AE and are neck and neck in bench test data I've seen, so you're fine with either choice. I'm one of those guys that likes both Mac and PC, so if you're like me and don't have a preference, saving money is always nice. I mean, you can basically upgrade to another PC in 2 years and be no more out of pocket than with the Mac purchase now. However, I would STRONGLY recommend 64GB of RAM. If you are getting an external monitor (screen real estate is essential for me), then I wouldn't sweat the 14" ASUS.

-------------------------------------------------
Video Producer / Digital Marketer / Gear Reviewer / Author
-- http://www.AndyFordVideo.com --

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]