ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

After Effects Presets without Controls

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Camilo Fontecilla
After Effects Presets without Controls
on Jun 26, 2020 at 5:38:07 pm

Hello! I'm interested in experimenting with a couple of preset animations I discovered in Bridge –– Emerge and Fluctuate –– but when I apply them in AE no Effect Control appears. Other presets in this group do have controls, so it doesn't appear to be an overall issue with AE.

I've tried setting keyframes to the various variables related to the animation in the timeline, but no luck.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Camilo Fontecilla
https://fnt-design.com

Return to posts index

Chaz Chester
Re: After Effects Presets without Controls
on Jun 27, 2020 at 2:38:50 am

With the layer selected, pressing the U key should reveal all of the keyframed properties.

For Emerge, it should show the "Offset" property in a custom named Range Selector called "Selector - Offset". Emerge is only meant for text and won't do anything to other types of layers.

Fluctuate doesn't have any keyframes because it's using a Wiggle Selector, which means it's moving between values based on the selector's controls, which can be found where all text animators appear, under the Text twirler. If your layer isn't text with a stroke (the stroke found in the character panel), you won't see anything happen.

Return to posts index

Chaz Chester
on Jun 27, 2020 at 2:41:01 am

With the layer selected, pressing the U key should reveal all of the keyframed properties.

For Emerge, it should show the "Offset" property in a custom named Range Selector called "Selector - Offset". Emerge is only meant for text and won't do anything to other types of layers.

Fluctuate doesn't have any keyframes because it's using a Wiggle Selector, which means it's moving between values based on the selector's controls, which can be found by clicking the Text twirler. If your layer isn't text with a stroke (the stroke found in the character panel), you won't see anything happen.

It's also worth noting that Command + ` (I'm guessing Ctrl + ` on a PC) will reveal all of the properties on a selected layer, whether they have keyframes or not.

Return to posts index

Camilo Fontecilla
on Jun 27, 2020 at 3:39:07 am

Hey thanks for speedy reply! So my first issue was that I didn't have a stroke, so that's why nothing was happening.

Now I've applied a stroke, but after extensive messing around with parameters I can't get my effect to look like the example you see in Bridge for either of them.

For example, 'emerge' seems to appear semi-randomly from transparency in a very smooth manner, but I can't seem to replicate it.

These things should come with a guide!!!

Camilo Fontecilla
https://fnt-design.com

Return to posts index

Chaz Chester
on Jun 27, 2020 at 4:23:57 am

Interesting... I didn't even know Bridge had these previews. You're right, though, they don't really look like the default settings for the presets.
I'm not really sure how they're getting separate parts of the characters to fade in with just a text animator, but you could achieve something similar by setting your stroke width to 0 in the character panel and animating the offset to go from 100 to -100, with all of the other settings set to the preset's defaults. The effect Simple Choker will help get rid of any remaining pixels.

Another way of achieving this effect, which is how I would typically do it, is to just put a solid with Turbulent Noise on top of the text layer to use as a luma matte and animate it going from totally black to totally white.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]