ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Hard edges on matte created by roto brush

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Benjamin Chellaram
Hard edges on matte created by roto brush
on Jun 24, 2020 at 4:46:19 pm

Hi. I've been working on a project which is a live-action in an animated 2D space.
We are looking to create a specific "cutout" look, but we are not quite there.

The problem: We have a lot of clips of a guy talking to the camera on a white background. We do not want to spend time rotoing him out perfectly so we are trying out somewhat automated processes like roto-brush. Roto brush is really nice you use since it's quick and easy, but we want hard edges on our matte (See picure, nr. 2 is correct).

With rotobrush and simple (or matte) choker we get the nr. 2 results in the picture below.
Auto-tracing does not work as it creates a lot of mask points that float around, making everything really wiggly and spasm'y.

Does anyone have any tricks or tips on how to get from nr. 1 to nr. 2 (without spending a lot of time on roto)?
If there are other techniques or plugins that does a better job along side or instead of roto-brush, please let me know ☺

Thank you!

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
Re: Hard edges on matte created by roto brush
on Jun 24, 2020 at 5:51:39 pm

If you want hard edges, you'll probably have to mask by hand. These tools are all designed to improve masks by softening hard edges--they're really not designed to make a matte look worse!

Return to posts index

Richard Garabedain
on Jun 24, 2020 at 10:33:32 pm

so you already have him cut out and you already have a rounded cut-out..but you want to redo everything just to get a more polygonial shaped edge...seems like a lot of work for something that is barely noticeable...have you tried roughen edges

Return to posts index

Benjamin Chellaram
on Jun 25, 2020 at 6:33:28 am

We have him cutout using the roto-brush (which sort of does it automatically). I believe the effect will be more noticeable as there are a lot of other graphics in the same style.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]