ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Problems with AE Compression on some nested comps

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Allen Crafts
Problems with AE Compression on some nested comps
on Jun 21, 2020 at 7:34:12 pm

Hi, first time poster here.

I've been using After Effects for a while, but I am largely self-taught, so there is probably something obvious that I am missing.

I am currently working on animating a 20 second short. I have multiple layers of precomps, and have done this many times before without issue. I am working from drawings that I have scanned in and altered in photoshop so I can move individual pieces in ae. I did this for my first draft without a problem.

I'm in the process of working on the second draft, and have scanned in new elements to use. This time, I am having an issue where these elements have what I think is maybe a compression problem, so I'm getting these darkened stripes in these elements. This is only happening to these new comps, so when they're compiled with the others they stand out very badly. They are also losing quality in the texture.

As far as I know, I haven't done anything different when importing and composing the comp. The only difference I can see is that the composition has a slightly different size ratio, but that is just because the elements are different sizes. I've been looking around online, but haven't been able to find anything similar. If anyone has ANY suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Filip Vandueren
Re: Problems with AE Compression on some nested comps
on Jun 22, 2020 at 9:12:03 am

Any chance for a screenshot ?

Return to posts index

Allen Crafts
on Jun 27, 2020 at 5:27:34 pm

Hi!

Here is a screenshot.

Return to posts index

Filip Vandueren
on Jun 27, 2020 at 5:41:55 pm

Looks like a moiré pattern problem.
Was it scanned in from something that was printed? Is the individual layer very high-RES with a dithering pattern still intact at 100% scaling?

Try a very slight blur in the precomp, or alter the sourcematerial in photoshop to get rid of the pixel-pattern that’s present

Return to posts index

Allen Crafts
on Jun 27, 2020 at 5:59:55 pm

Yup, that looks like it would make sense as to what the problem is, thank you! No idea why I'm experiencing it though.

It was scanned from a painting on a canvas. The scan is high-res, and done the same as the previous scans used to create the other elements.

The individual layer should also be highres. At any scale, the stripes are still there, and even when its alone in its own comp without a background. I may not be fully understanding what you're asking though.

I am trying to keep the texture from the canvas, so a blur isn't my favorite idea- though I will try it to see if that fixes the issue. I'm not entirely sure I know what you mean by remove the pixel pattern in photoshop, either (sorry, like I said, I am largely self-taught here and this is something I've never run into before). Everything looks clean in photoshop.

Return to posts index

Filip Vandueren
on Jun 27, 2020 at 8:08:11 pm

The Canvas texture that’s present in the scans has a certain “frequency”, so do the pixels of your screen, you’re seeing these undesirable patterns when the frequencies of those two clash.
If you scale up the image slightly or slowly, you would see that Moiré-pattern change very significantly.

Normally if you have collapse geometries on and everything is at best quality, AE does it’s best to keep everything smooth.
But if there is too much detail in the material, moiré will happen, it’s like a law of physics :-). So slightly blurring will reduce the high-frequency detail. (This would be detail that’s finer than final pixel-level)

another workaround is to work in a 4x higher resolution, and scale down in the end. Hopefully the anti-aliasing will be better at avoiding the pattern that way, but this takes a lot more memory and processing.

Return to posts index

Allen Crafts
on Jun 29, 2020 at 9:19:07 pm

Ah, that makes sense! Thank you so much. ☺

I'm going to go see what I can do. I did try a small blur and it didn't seem to have much of an impact, but I'm going to mess with it more to see what happens.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]