ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Footage Importing Different Color Amounts In Different Versions of After Effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Conner DeWitt
Footage Importing Different Color Amounts In Different Versions of After Effects
on Jun 18, 2020 at 3:03:14 pm

Hey all!

I'm rendering out a piece of footage in After Effects CC17 (17.1.0) and I'm having an issue when I bring it back into the software.

My render settings are:
Apple Pro Res 4444 +Alpha
Trillions of Colors
Straight
(Comp rendering from is 16bpc)

When the render is complete and I bring it back into After Effects, the Project window says the footage is "Millions of Colors + (Straight)"

In addition, the footage looks like it has banding in it which doesn't appear in the raw composition it was made from. I can only assume this is related to the way the footage is imported into the software?

The odd thing is that I take the EXACT same rendered footage into After Effects CC16 (16.1.3) And I'm getting what I'm looking for: The Project window correctly interprets the footage as "Trillions of Colors + (Straight)" and there;s no banding to speak of.

I have attached screenshots as a reference.

Anyone have any idea what's going on here? Help is greatly appreciated!

cc17 Project Window:

cc17 Preview:

cc16 Project Window:

cc16 Preview:

Return to posts index

Richard Garabedain
Re: Footage Importing Different Color Amounts In Different Versions of After Effects
on Jun 18, 2020 at 6:39:59 pm

older versions of after effects had different codecs...im not sure why they had to keep changing them, but they did. i would suggest rendering a png sequence with alpha channel

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Footage Importing Different Color Amounts In Different Versions of After Effects
on Jun 18, 2020 at 11:54:35 pm

Do you have different color management settings active in v16 and v17?

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Conner DeWitt
on Jun 21, 2020 at 3:29:37 pm

No, its the same color management settings for both:

Color Management: None

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Jun 19, 2020 at 6:16:50 am

They added a srgb/rec709 choice in the color management settings at some point that changed the gamma a bit in some projects.

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Jun 19, 2020 at 12:20:29 pm

My photographer noticed that his work looked flat when I brought it into latest AE.
He was working in AdobeRGB so the fix was the convert his to sRGB.
I've always wanted to dig into this but then life happens :(

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]