ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Scale tracking movement on a null object

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alden Ford
Scale tracking movement on a null object
on Jun 14, 2020 at 3:20:55 pm

I posted about this project in a different thread but this is a separate issue so I figured I would start a new thread.

I'm using tracked movement (in my case, facial movements for dialogue) to make nulls, which I then parent puppet pins to. The problem is that I'd love to be able to scale the tracked movements up or down to dial in the amount that my puppet pins move relative to the tracked footage.

Currently I've had to do a lot of trial and error by resizing and then pre-comping my reference footage, then tracking it, so that the movement looks right on the puppet (In other words, I make the face tracking video bigger or smaller to make the tracked movement translate bigger or smaller on my animation). If I finish the animation and it's too big or too small, I have to resize the reference footage and start all over. But I suspect there's a simple expression I could add to my puppet pin pickwhip to scale the null's movement by, say, x2 or x.5.

Any insight or advice is much appreciated!

Return to posts index

Graham Quince
Re: Scale tracking movement on a null object
on Jun 21, 2020 at 9:00:39 am

You’re right you should be able to scale up the movement, but you first have to separate the X and Y values.

Something like:

X = pickwhipvalue[0];
Y = pickwhipvalue[1];
[X*2,Y*1.5];

http://www.YouTube.com/ShiveringCactus - After Effects Tutorials

Return to posts index

Alden Ford
Re: Scale tracking movement on a null object
on Jun 22, 2020 at 1:44:55 pm

Terrific, thank you! I'll give it a shot.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]