ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Pre-Comps casting shadows on each other but not on background!

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Prabhjot Nijjar
Pre-Comps casting shadows on each other but not on background!
on May 25, 2020 at 2:22:17 am

Hey everyone,

I'm kinda new to after effects, have done a few projects. But am fairly new to 3D and spot light stuff. I'm doing these end credits for a short film. They will eventually (hopefully) look like a corkboard with the main cast, director, producer, and writer each having their own post it note with their name and a picture as if it were taped to the corkboard. I did a test run and put all the sticky notes, tape pngs, and pictures into the main comp and made them 3D and put a spot light on just to see how it looked. The shadows were being cast nicely and everything but I thought it looked a bit messy. So, I decided to make a new project import everything in an orderly way. I ended up making pre-comps for all my sticky notes and pictures for each person (I have 10 pre-comps altogether). I made one more pre-comp for my background (I had to tile it for it to look better). Finally, when I had all my pieces in, I put a spotlight on (like I had tested before), I made the pre-comps 3D with all the proper settings (cast shadows: on, accepts shadows: on, accept light: on).

My problem is that the objects (sticky notes, pictures) would cast shadows on each other but wouldn't do it on the background. I don't know what I did wrong. But I tried different backgrounds and solids and nothings works. I've attached some screenshots below. (The poloroid png already had a slight black outline at the bottom, that is not a shadow being cast).

Thank you!! Sorry for the long post

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
Re: Pre-Comps casting shadows on each other but not on background!
on May 25, 2020 at 12:10:27 pm

Is the cork bg a vector precomped?
Test by using this means like a spotlight and a new layer.

Return to posts index

Prabhjot Nijjar
on May 31, 2020 at 12:18:14 am

Yes it's a vector! I pre-comped it bc i had to tile it to make it larger. I ended up going back and doing this in Illustrator and bringing it back into After Effects to not lose resolution which I was having an issue with also - haven't brought it back yet though.

Return to posts index

Richard Garabedain
on May 26, 2020 at 4:14:46 pm

the layers might be too close together...in fact i dont see any shadows being casted...i just see the drop shadow effect

Return to posts index

Prabhjot Nijjar
on May 31, 2020 at 12:19:32 am

I played with Z space and they are far apart. There is a slight shadow on the right and bottom of the sticky note, but the shadow is just showing up on the polaroid.

Return to posts index

Theo Buchinskas
on May 31, 2020 at 1:08:49 am

You might want to try toggling "collapse transformations" and then make sure your sub-comps the items are 3D. That can cause issues with transparency and therefore lights and shadows.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]