ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How to make totally clean fractal noise blocks??

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jon Emmerich
How to make totally clean fractal noise blocks??
on May 11, 2020 at 5:57:05 pm

I need to make multi-colored blocks that are each 2x1, so I'm using fractal noise with the noise type set to block, complexity of 1, and the scale set to 200x, 100y. Then, I'm adding Colorama to control the colors. This achieves exactly what I want with one caveat - the blocks aren't 100% clean around their edges, which is causing some artifacts around the outside of many of my color blocks.

Any thoughts on how to fix this? Thanks

Fractal noise blocks:

Fractal noise blocks with Colorama:

Return to posts index

Richard Garabedain
Re: How to make totally clean fractal noise blocks??
on May 11, 2020 at 6:45:22 pm

i did a quick test and if you increase sub scaling it should help with most of the edges...still a few but i doubt anyone will notice...I also was able to clean it up just a little bit more by playing with the contrast and brightness

Return to posts index

Jon Emmerich
on May 11, 2020 at 7:23:36 pm

Thanks for the help. We're getting there, but it definitely has to be absolutely clean. I'm trying to generate some animation for my company's branding material, and it's super specific / no wiggle room.

That being said, I fiddled with sub surface a bit and it helps a bit, as you said. Since writing, I've also mess with the scale itself, and that seems to be the major determining factor. For instance, a scale of 99x49.5 gets rid of ALMOST all of the imperfections. It seems that different scales seem to lock it in better than others. I'm guessing that since it's generated by noise, certain settings make it, well, noisier than others.

I'm wondering if there's a good effect to add into the mix that minimizes these little edge defects...?

Thanks again

Return to posts index

Richard Garabedain
on May 11, 2020 at 7:33:17 pm

if you want an perfectly clean blocks you could probably use the grid effect and use a blurry fractal as a luma so that colorama will work

Return to posts index

Jon Emmerich
on May 11, 2020 at 7:42:25 pm

MOSTLY FIXED: With more tinkering, certain scale values eliminate the edge defects entirely. It's not a perfect fix as it limits what scale values I can use, but for what I need in the short term it's fine.

Return to posts index

Richard Garabedain
on May 11, 2020 at 6:45:56 pm

ohh and sub rotation helps a little too

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on May 13, 2020 at 6:38:07 pm

I'd try to use the mosaic effect to create sharp edges. However, this does add another layer of grid-ation (grid-izing?) to your visual.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]