ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

how to fade out a rendered video layer to transparency and not black?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jon Iverson
how to fade out a rendered video layer to transparency and not black?
on Apr 7, 2020 at 3:22:55 pm
Last Edited By Jon Iverson on Apr 7, 2020 at 3:25:09 pm

I have a video I'm looping but, because I get random black frames if trying this the time remapping way, I am trying to render my original length video out uncompressed first, then start a new project and just fade multiple layers to get my loop. I am using 10 minute loop layers, so 6 layers for 60 minutes. I did the fade in and outs before the first ten minute render so hopefully I wouldn't have to do the same thing again during layering of the 6 layers. However, looks like I overlooked one thing: my original 10 minute video fades to black, so there is no smooth transition to the next 10 minute layer underneath without me having to redo the opacity fades before the original fade out is reached. So, is there a way I can fade out the original 10 minute video to transparency instead of black, so I don't have to redo all the opacity fades when layers are placed underneath? Just trying to save applying too many effects as that's when I start getting random black frames. Thank you.

Return to posts index

jesse richards
Re: how to fade out a rendered video layer to transparency and not black?
on Apr 7, 2020 at 5:19:33 pm

I'm a little confused by the post but it sounds like you need to re-render the videos with the fade but use a codec with an alpha channel such as ProRes and also make sure you have RGB and Alpha selected in the Video Output section of your Output module.

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on Apr 7, 2020 at 6:51:02 pm

Or you could pre-render with no fade and apply the fade in your final composition.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

jesse richards
on Apr 7, 2020 at 6:30:24 pm

I'm a little confused by the post but it sounds like you need to re-render the videos with the fade but use a codec with an alpha channel such as ProRes and also make sure you have RGB and Alpha selected in the Video Output section of your Output module.

Return to posts index

Jon Iverson
on Apr 7, 2020 at 7:42:40 pm

Ok, I got it and the answer was simple: to simply choose AVI with the following settings:

Once done and rendered, the resulting video will now have transparency fade.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]