ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Creating a reusable Train Ticker split flap effect.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin Reiner
Creating a reusable Train Ticker split flap effect.
on Apr 5, 2020 at 2:55:55 pm

I have been tasked with creating a transition resembling an old train ticker similar to below, but wiping on with only one rotation for each tile:

and then here is the storyboard frame of what we're trying to do:

Split Flap Storyboard

I did successful tests with multiple shapes that were triggered by the luminance of another layer that had a wipe from black to white. (I'm this technique for easy changes of direction, shape and length of transition.)

AE Test Project

So do to the final transition, I was going to chop up the incoming and outgoing videos and mimic what I did with the shapes. However, I'd like to be able to make it a template so that once all of the hard work is done, I can apply it easily over a cut of 2 videos. Any advice in this? Right now I'm having trouble figuring out how to map the A and B video layers to layers inside a precomp. Hope that makes sense. The biggest problem I'm having is coming up with the terminology to make successful searches for help.

I am setting this up for multiple editors of different skill levels, so I want make it rather user friendly once done.

Thanks and I hope all are well,
Kevin

Return to posts index

Greg Gesch
Re: Creating a reusable Train Ticker split flap effect.
on Apr 5, 2020 at 11:17:40 pm

Hi Kevin, you might look at the Card Dance Effect (or the Card Dance Transition for that matter).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]