ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Two spheres orbiting around and gravitating towards each other face-to-face + Camera moving from side to front = Cannot achieve both correct rotation and 3D illusion together as something always gets disrupted

COW Forums : Video Copilot

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
Tsovinar Martirosyan
Two spheres orbiting around and gravitating towards each other face-to-face + Camera moving from side to front = Cannot achieve both correct rotation and 3D illusion together as something always gets disrupted
on Mar 29, 2020 at 7:16:28 pm

Dear community members,

I am new to After Effects (and animation in general). However, prior to composing this post I've consulted with a professional animator friend who constantly works with After Effects and she didn't know how to solve my problem, so I am quite desperate.

I've created two approaching spheres that orbit around each other with increasing velocity and while continuously facing and eventually melting into each other. It consists of a simple rotating null layer.
I need a swift camera movement from the side of the scene to the front. This creates a problem as the spheres are not actually 3D.

It seems that the two effects I'm trying to achieve (rotating spheres that face each other + moving camera from side to front in 3D space) are not easily compatible.

Auto-orienting the spheres towards the camera gives a 3D illusion but creates a new problem as it makes the spheres not face each other anymore.
It would be a painstaking process to rotate the spheres manually for every frame for so many rotations at different speed levels and I imagine there would be a clever way to solve this problem.
I've tried Dan Ebberts's technique (https://forums.creativecow.net/docs/forums/post.php?forumid=227&postid=8045&univpostid=8045&pview=t) but this also overrides the "towards-the-center-facedness" of the spinning spheres I would like to maintain.
I've tried this https://blob.pureandapplied.com.au/lookat-me/ (created another null layer in the center of the composition as the spheres essentially are always facing the center) but it doesn't work with the 3D camera movement.

Please, if you know how the visual effect I've described could be achieved, teach me, illuminate me. I'd appreciate your help immensely!

Sincerely,
Tsovinar

Return to posts index

Greg Gesch
Re: Two spheres orbiting around and gravitating towards each other face-to-face + Camera moving from side to front = Cannot achieve both correct rotation and 3D illusion together as something always gets disrupted
on Mar 30, 2020 at 1:38:57 am

Hi Tsovinar, how have you made the spheres? I don't understand "It consists of a simple rotating null layer".

Return to posts index

Tsovinar Martirosyan
Re: Two spheres orbiting around and gravitating towards each other face-to-face + Camera moving from side to front = Cannot achieve both correct rotation and 3D illusion together as something always gets disrupted
on Mar 30, 2020 at 8:31:41 am

Hi Greg, I've added the CC Sphere effect on two layers with Turbulent Noise. Then I've parented those two layers with the turbulent-noise-filled spheres to a null layer and I've made the null layer rotate so that it seems that the spheres are orbiting around each other. I've altered the position of the spheres throughout the clip, placing them closer to the center, so that it looks like the spheres are gravitating towards each other while spinning and eventually merging (effect created using Liquify tool). It's important that they continue facing each other with one, brighter side of each sphere. It's a kilonova (neutron star collision) animation, based on this

Return to posts index

Richard Garabedain
on Mar 30, 2020 at 10:35:04 pm

cc sphere is outdated...try the ORB effect from video copilot

Return to posts index

Tsovinar Martirosyan
on Mar 31, 2020 at 10:05:49 am
Last Edited By Tsovinar Martirosyan on Apr 3, 2020 at 10:55:28 am

Hi Richard, thanks for your comment.

Return to posts index

Greg Gesch
on Mar 31, 2020 at 2:10:17 am

Hi. The only thing I can think of in your current setup is not to use a camera. Instead add a new Null and parent your existing null, background etc to it. Keyframe the rotation (and whatever) of your new null to mimic the camera move. Would that work?

Return to posts index

Tsovinar Martirosyan
on Mar 31, 2020 at 10:09:07 am

That seems like a splendid idea, Greg, it hadn't crossed my mind that I could leave the camera out. Thank you! I'll comment again if it turns out to be more problematic than it sounds.

Return to posts index

Tsovinar Martirosyan
on Apr 3, 2020 at 10:57:56 am

Hi, Greg, I couldn't figure out how to make the spheres look 3D without an active camera. I think this didn't solve the problem.

Return to posts index

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]