ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Question of Null Object

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Clifford Li
Question of Null Object
on Mar 13, 2020 at 10:47:11 am

Hi guys, this maybe a stupid question..but i don't know how to do this in my over 12 years after effects life ...

My question is: When you inside the composition, you may right click -> New -> Null Object. And the Null object is just like empty..with nothing..right. But when I drag the Null object into the composition from the project panel, it will be come like a 100 x 100 pixel White Solid. So, how can I turn it to be like "empty"?

It could be not a problem if I just create another Null, but I just wanna make the project looks more organize...you know..

Return to posts index

John Williams
Re: Question of Null Object
on Mar 13, 2020 at 12:56:36 pm

Nulls are unique.
Solids are normal.
If you bring in a Solid Null from the project panel you are actually bringing in a solid.

If you don't want to see it just make it transparent.

John Williams

Soho Editors

Return to posts index

Clifford Li
on Mar 22, 2020 at 3:33:11 pm

Of course I knew...Or maybe much just "Ctrl + D" duplicate it, that much more earier..
But that's not the answer i am searching for.
If Nulls just unique like shape layer, why after effects put it into a project panel...

Maybe the question and the answer are just meaningless, but just like...Scientific spirit :P

Return to posts index

Graham Quince
on Mar 22, 2020 at 4:48:47 pm

It is a mystery why they appear, but you can reuse a NULL from the project panel, but you do have to reduce their opacity to 0 and shift the anchor back up to 0,0 - that second bit can be important for parenting and expressions.

You'd think/hope a Null would retain its special-ness.

Also adjusting the opacity of a Null created in a comp doesn't make it visible either.

http://www.YouTube.com/ShiveringCactus - Free FX for amateur films
http://shiveringcactus.wordpress.com/ - FX blog

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]