ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Changing the shape of a Dashed stroke on a path

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Olivera
Changing the shape of a Dashed stroke on a path
on Mar 12, 2020 at 4:05:49 pm

Hello all!

So I have the Cinema 4D renderer turned on and a 3D shape. I have the stroke turned to 1px and the geometry extruded by 75px. I have then rotated the shape by -90 on the X axis in order to make this first image.

I would like to change the shape of the dashed lines to something like this 2nd image.

Is this possible to do in base after effects? To be able to change the shape of the dashes? If so how? I also have the offset of the dashed line animated. Thanks for the help!

Return to posts index

John Williams
Re: Changing the shape of a Dashed stroke on a path
on Mar 13, 2020 at 12:46:57 pm

Hi there. Unfortunately the Shape layers Stroke does not give you options to change the stroke, therefore you would need to do this by creating one shape layer of your arrow than animates around the rounded rectangle path (and choose 'auto orient' in the Layer/Transform settings so you don't have to animate the rotation.) Then create duplicates that are offset in time. This would not require the use of the Cinema 4D Renderer which means it will run a lot faster and still allow other effects like motion blur.

Alternatively you could do the whole thing in Cinema4D Lite in a similar way and then bring it back to AE, but if you're not so familiar with C4D then the After Effects method should get you there in about 20-30 minutes.

Hope that helps;)

John Williams

Soho Editors

Return to posts index

Ryan Olivera
on Mar 13, 2020 at 1:37:30 pm

Thank you so much! Yeah I played with it a little more and this was the work around solution I came up with myself. I wasn't happy with having like 100 layers for the chevron but oh well lol.

Return to posts index

John Williams
on Mar 13, 2020 at 2:51:52 pm

Having a hundred layers shouldn't be too much of a problem. If you at some point you need to change the chevron shape or color, then i'd suggest making it a precomp first and then animating and duplicating the precomp. Then if a change is needed, just change the one precomp and all the copies change too!

John Williams

Soho Editors

Return to posts index

Ryan Olivera
on Mar 13, 2020 at 2:55:09 pm

OOOooooo Good thought. That didn't cross my mind. Thank you!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]