ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

After effects and Cinema 4D external compositing tag strange behaviour

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anthony Eamens
After effects and Cinema 4D external compositing tag strange behaviour
on Feb 17, 2020 at 10:57:23 pm
Last Edited By Anthony Eamens on Feb 17, 2020 at 10:58:16 pm

I'm experiencing some unusual behaviour in After effects when extracting the Cinema 4D scene data and the solid positioning.

I rendered my scene previously in Cinema 4D as I needed to use Corona renderer, so I have the Image sequence imported into AE and now I need to add the solid's from the original C4D file.

I prepped everything before hand, and removed everything in the C4D which I didn't need. I baked the Camera animations, and set the external composite tags on the 2 solids I need in AE. I also ensured the axis was central and in the correct position on both solids.

I have imported the C4D file into AE, and I have extracted the Cinema 4D scene data and also set the project setting's camera to Comp camera. Everything lines up perfectly and in the correct place however for some unknown reason it's offset on the Y axis and I've been trying to figure it out for hours!

I have even gone back into Cinema 4D and made my final render a material and placed it into a background of the stripped down version which was imported into AE to test and everything lines up perfectly in C4D, but it's off in the Y axis in AE. I've tried moving the solids but nothing lines up, and I can't move the camera because the animation is baked in.

I'm using AE 2020 and Cinema 4D R19 if that makes any difference.

Attached some screenshots;

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
Re: After effects and Cinema 4D external compositing tag strange behaviour
on Feb 18, 2020 at 11:55:52 am

Do you have any extra options in your c4d camera that AE can't match? like lens offsets?

You have to try to pinpoint what is wrong because you're the one with access to the data. If layers are in the same position with the same scale it has to be a camera mismatch. You should try to export a single frame with a new default camera and see if things match. Also compare project resolution, FPS and so on.

Cassius Marques
http://www.zapfilmes.com

Return to posts index

Anthony Eamens
Re: After effects and Cinema 4D external compositing tag strange behaviour
on Feb 18, 2020 at 2:21:32 pm

Hi Cassius,

Thanks for posting.

Stupidly it never occured to me that it could be the cameras! I think I've discovered that it's the camera 'Film Offset Y' in Cinema 4D as that is at -4% and I didn't realise AE doesn't extract that data.

I'm not entirely sure how to fix this but thank you for your response.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]