ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Weird shimmer effect with depth of field turned on in Element 3D

COW Forums : Video Copilot

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
Darren Lee
Weird shimmer effect with depth of field turned on in Element 3D
on Feb 17, 2020 at 4:00:48 pm

Hi, this might be a question for the Video Copilot Forum but I thought I'd post it here

I'm getting a strange shimmer effect on reflections in Element 3D. If you look at the distant spheres the reflection highlights are flickering:

i've tried changing the quality of the DOP in Element 3D from Pixel Blur to Multi pass, which improves it but doesn't fully get rid of the glistening.

Is there a way to prevent this? Thanks

Return to posts index

Richard Garabedain
Re: Weird shimmer effect with depth of field turned on in Element 3D
on Feb 17, 2020 at 5:31:53 pm

It does seem to be a DOP thing. but is this really in element 3d...the quality seems so low

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
on Feb 17, 2020 at 7:00:18 pm

That seems to be caused by the averaging of the DOF calculations and the current resolution of the layer. e.g. blurring occurring on a bright reflection pixel vs a darker one on the next frame.

Try to increase the layer/comp resolution, the multiplier settings or reduce that contrast on those reflections.

Cassius Marques
http://www.zapfilmes.com

Return to posts index

Darren Lee
on Feb 17, 2020 at 7:59:01 pm

That's weird, I thought I'd try and increase the resolution of the environment map by converting it from a .hdr to a .jpg:

I found that the lights in it no longer glare:

It was the HDR file that was causing the flickering. Does that seem right ?

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
on Feb 17, 2020 at 8:17:53 pm

I meant increase the overall resolution of the e3d layer.

If it was a hdr it could be misinterpreting it (bug) or it just had overbright pixels there that were causing the problems. Because I can clearly see a difference in the white levels between the first and last gif.

I'd had to have access to the files to see if it was a bug or more of a hidden feature. Fireflies are pretty common on GPU renderers so I'm guessing there must be a mathematical necessity for them to exist.

But as you've seem to correct them, there's not much need to dwell on it. So good luck.

Cassius Marques
http://www.zapfilmes.com

Return to posts index

Darren Lee
on Feb 17, 2020 at 9:55:55 pm

Thank for replying. Changing the comp size and the solid layer resolution that the E3D effect is one and it does seem to work:

Return to posts index

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]