ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Orienting Stardust particle to 3D layer

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Foran
Orienting Stardust particle to 3D layer
on Feb 6, 2020 at 11:32:45 pm

In the particle system "Stardust," I am attempting to emit "Texture" particles (which have 3 axis rotational values) that orient themselves to a 3D layer's rotation when they are emitted. However, when I pickwhip the X, Y, Z rotation values of the particle to the 3D layer, the rotation doesn't match. It works fine as long if I only rotate one axis, but if I rotate on more axes the particle rotates in completely different ways.

Anyone know why this is happening, and what expression I might be able to use to correct for it?

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
Re: Orienting Stardust particle to 3D layer
on Feb 7, 2020 at 12:00:55 pm

Because the XYZ rotating isn't linked in the plugin (your definitely not the first person to be bothered by how AE handles that).

If you parent/child three nulls. And use the first(child-most) for X, the Second for Y and the third for Z. You could link the properties to each transformation and the particles will match the rotation of the first null.

Now the question is how are you animating the model, and can you change your workflow to that?

Cassius Marques
http://www.zapfilmes.com

Return to posts index

Mike Foran
on Feb 7, 2020 at 2:35:38 pm
Last Edited By Mike Foran on Feb 7, 2020 at 4:00:07 pm

Thanks, that makes sense. I don't quite get how you're linking and parenting. Can you please break it down for me a little more specifically? Thank you.

Edit: Specifically, can you please clarify this: "You could link the properties to each transformation"

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
on Feb 7, 2020 at 4:38:13 pm

Sure, your timeline should be:

Null 1
controls rotation Z

Null 2 - Parented to Null 1
controls rotation Y

Null 3 - Parented to Null 2
controls rotation X

Now go to your X,Y,Z stardust properties, and link them (pick whipping) or copy paste, w/e you prefer to Null 3's X, Null 2's Y and Null 1's Z respectively

Return to posts index

Mike Foran
on Feb 7, 2020 at 5:02:50 pm

Ok yeah I got it. Thank you!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]