ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Automatically place start of new text layer in line with the current-time indicator?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brandon Nankivell
Automatically place start of new text layer in line with the current-time indicator?
on Jan 29, 2020 at 9:57:20 am

Hello,

I have searched on google and haven't found an answer.

I would like to create any new layer (using text as an example) and have the beginning of the layer on the timeline, start at where the current time indicator is positioned on the timeline.

By default, layers begin at 00:00:00 of the comp. Is there a way to change this?

Otherwise I constantly find myself moving layers manually to line up.

A big thank you in advance.

I automate video content creation for social media.

Return to posts index

John Williams
Re: Automatically place start of new text layer in line with the current-time indicator?
on Jan 29, 2020 at 10:38:37 am

Hi there, while this doesn't directly answer your question, this can certainly help.

When you 'double click' on the Type tool AE automatically creates an empty Text layer in the centre of your comp (handy but not your question.)

When you hit the open square bracket '[' keyboard shortcut, the selected layer jumps to the current time indicator.

Beyond that, perhaps some scripting wizard can create you a script for that.

John Williams

Soho Editors

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
Re: Automatically place start of new text layer in line with the current-time indicator?
on Jan 29, 2020 at 12:49:49 pm
Last Edited By Cassius Marques on Jan 29, 2020 at 12:51:55 pm

Preferences -> General -> Create layers at composition start time

I guess you're just a white belt at Google-fu?

Return to posts index

Brandon Nankivell
on Jan 31, 2020 at 2:08:18 am

May the Gods from above bless your soul with eternal peace. Unticking the box was the answer. May this forum post (hopefully) serve my fellow Google-fu white belts in the future.

I automate video content creation for social media.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]