ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

What's your workflow using multicams in AE using virtual sets?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
steven dileo
What's your workflow using multicams in AE using virtual sets?
on Jan 24, 2020 at 7:31:04 pm

I am building virtual sets within AE that I import my multicam footage into, and then match up AE's virtual cameras to match the physical recorded cameras. However I feel like my workflow can be improved. I've set up each comp, and rendered each one that way. So if I have 3 camera shots, I would have 3 comps, render those out, and then piece together the rendered clips in premiere. I've also stumbled across a different method which has me editing the multiple cam shots in premiere first, then copying those edits into premiere and having a dynamic camera update based off an expression (although i'm having issues with getting that set up properly as well)

So i'm curious to any other techniques/workflow ideas for editing multicam footage with in AE while setting up virtual sets.

Return to posts index

Graham Quince
Re: What's your workflow using multicams in AE using virtual sets?
on Jan 25, 2020 at 3:12:46 pm

I’ve only done this one time myself, but what I did was position my footage as a 3D layer within the set, matched the first camera position, then duplicated the footage layer and replaced it with the second angle. Using the auto-orient transform option, I then created camera 2 and lined that up, knowing both layers were in the same position in 3D space.

This way meant I only rendered one comp. Edited using premiere’s multi cam approach and the using the “replace with AE composition” to get the edits into After Effects. Then precomped together the layers of the same angles and dropped the precomps into three copies of the virtual set using the above workflow. Applied the keying to the precomps etc...

In the original imported comp from premiere, I added the virtual set comps and used the precomps as track mattes to control visibility / match edit.

Not saying my approach is better, just how I did it.

http://www.YouTube.com/ShiveringCactus - Free FX for amateur films
http://shiveringcactus.wordpress.com/ - FX blog

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: What's your workflow using multicams in AE using virtual sets?
on Jan 30, 2020 at 2:34:32 pm

I would suggest going with the edit first and then AE workflow.
Otherwise, you're having to wait for SO MUCH extra AE rendering time.
You can import a Premiere Pro Project to AE and it'll come in with each cut on its own layer, so you can pretty easily match up which "camera" to be using in AE.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]