ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Which is faster/better? Downscale comp before export OR downscale in AME?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Xavier Bonet
Which is faster/better? Downscale comp before export OR downscale in AME?
on Jan 12, 2020 at 5:59:20 pm

So I'm animating some 4173 × 6016 px photos. Now it's time for the final export and, because it's for Instagram, there's no point in exporting anything bigger than 1548 x 1936 px. So I've just gone ahead and exported using AME and set the scale there, through the IG I made to speed things up. The thing is, it now says it'll finish exporting in 33 hs... Hum! So I'm asking myself if there'd be any difference (at least in terms of export time) if I were to pop my final comp into a 1548 x 1936 comp and export that instead... or is it just the same thing?

Thanks in advance for any input on this!

P.S. Of course, it's just a matter of testing out both things and seeing which is better, but as I have an urgent deadline, I'd prefer to leave the testing for later! Which is why I ask to see if anyone knows. If you don't, I'll just leave it exporting as it is and hope the 33 hs gets rescued at some point to a more sensible number!—then, I'll try both methods in the next couple of days and come back with the results, which will hopefully help someone out in the future.

Return to posts index

Tomas Bumbulevičius
Re: Which is faster/better? Downscale comp before export OR downscale in AME?
on Jan 12, 2020 at 6:18:48 pm

Hey Xavier, in the past I have noticed, that exporting through Render Queue in general takes less time than through AME. if it comes about complex structure projects - thats even more of a case. Of course, you would still need to encode lossless output to web-use format once render is finished, but as a ballpark - it should still be faster.

And accordingly - you could scale the comps down in AE directly.

Find out more:
After Effects Tutorials: motion design, expressions, scripting.
Boxer - Dynamic Text Boxes Template with a Live Preview

Return to posts index

Xavier Bonet
on Jan 13, 2020 at 12:30:36 pm

Hey, Tomas! Thank you very much for your answer!

I hadn't noticed that it's faster directly through the Render Queue. I used to use it exclusively and then I tried out AME and like the fact that I could continue working while exporting. But, then, even when exporting over night I started using AME and never actually tested speeds. So it's good to know about your experience on this.

As to the other thing, about what is better, rather than faster: AME crashed about 3/4 of the way while downscaling... I don't scale (down or up) that often, so I have less experience with that; but knowing scaling puts a big strain on GPU, I guess it was my GPU that just couldn't cope.

In the end—and half asleep—I reexported as an image sequence in the original scale with the idea of importing that sequence into PPro, slapping on the audio and exporting that via AME, downscaling the output (no Max Depth, couldn't be bothered any more!). And that finally did the trick and I only just arrived before the deadline! 😅

But hopefully I'll be able to test out the different possibilities we've mentioned to see which one works best in this scenario.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jan 14, 2020 at 12:02:04 am

Your source files have 8x as many pixels as your output does. Your render would be considerable faster -- up to 8x faster! -- if you had set up your project at the output size instead of the source size from the start.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]