ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Copy composition so I can chage pictures and text

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
lars gravesen
Copy composition so I can chage pictures and text
on Jan 10, 2020 at 7:36:24 pm

Hi I have a comppsition with animation of picture and tekst. Can I copy this an change the pictures and text and keeping the effects. If I copy a composition and change the pictures they are changed in the original too. how can I do this so that I can use the settings and not make everything again and again.

Thanks so much
Lars

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Copy composition so I can chage pictures and text
on Jan 10, 2020 at 8:37:22 pm

You need to duplicate not just the one composition, duplicate and relink the comp and all the precomps that it relies on.

Two options:

1) True Comp Duplicator does this with just a couple clicks: http://aescripts.com/true-comp-duplicator/

2) Manually, you can isolate the comp and all dependencies that you need, then reimport it multiple times into your project file. File > Save As..., and choose a new filename for your AEP. Select the comp you wish to duplicate, and with that selection choose File > Dependencies > Reduce project. This will remove everything from your project except the comp you selected and the items upon which it depends. Re-open your original AEP, then import the new reduced AEP to get the independent comp/precomp structure. You can re-import as many independent copies as you'd like

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Greg Gesch
on Jan 10, 2020 at 11:00:28 pm

Hi Lars, select the composition in the Project Panel (usually in the upper left corner of your screen) and duplicate it - CTRL+D. You can then open the duplicate and change things in it without the original composition being affected.

Return to posts index

lars gravesen
on Jan 13, 2020 at 3:13:51 pm

HI Greg, Thanks so much this was the great way to do this.

Thanks

Lars

Return to posts index

Drew Hutchison
on Jan 13, 2020 at 7:37:31 pm

Adding onto this, if you want to keep the same effects on the same picture layer but replace the picture you can do this by simply clicking on the layer in your timeline, hold alt/option on a Mac and drag your new picture/asset from the project window onto your selected layer in the timeline. This will replace it with the new file but keep all effects the same on that layer.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]