Laptop for After Effect - Specs

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian Betz
Laptop for After Effect - Specs
on Dec 5, 2019 at 4:35:10 pm
Last Edited By Brian Betz on Dec 5, 2019 at 4:44:19 pm

Hi,

I am in the process of purchasing a laptop and any feedback would be appreciated. I generally make short clips, around 5 mins, and I am trying to optimize this system for After Effects. I do work with 4 k footage. I will also be using the plug in Trapcode with AE. I do use Premiere, Photoshop, and Illustrator, but the bulk of my work in After Effects. I travel quite a bit and, thus, I really need a laptop not a desktop.

Other than general impressions on the system, I am unsure if 1 TB for a Cashe drive is engouth or 2 is needed? My sense is the 2 would really be best.
Again … any suggestions would be appreciated! Note – If helps here is and example of the type of videos I make https://vimeo.com/247577652 Specs on new system below. Thanks!

Brian

17.3" Laptop
Processor: Intel Core i9-9700K 9th Gen Coffee Lake 8-Core 3.6 GHz (4.9 GHz Turbo) 12MB L3 Cache
RAM: 32 Gigs (2x 16gig) DDR4-2400 Sodimm
Graphics Card: NVIDIA® GeForce™ RTX 2060 GPU with 6GB GDDR6
Hard Drive - Operating System: Samsung 500G 970 EVO NVMe M.2 Internal SSD
Hard Drive – Video Storage: Samsung 1TB 970 EVO NVMe M.2 Internal SSD
Cashe Drive - 1TB Samsung 860 or 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD

Return to posts index

Max Haller
Re: Laptop for After Effect - Specs
on Dec 5, 2019 at 7:32:46 pm

That should be plenty of power for what youre doing

Return to posts index

Brian Betz
on Dec 5, 2019 at 10:33:47 pm

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Tomas Bumbulevičius
on Dec 7, 2019 at 11:45:43 am

Brian, are you really sure that carrying 17' laptop won't be a hassle? Not only its size, but weight will be also a considerable con for this choice. As a person who relies on laptop significantly myself, I would say 15' would be more convenient travel-suitable laptop.

Anyways, interesting to know your take on the topic, specifically about the sizing here.

Find out more:
After Effects Tutorials: motion design, expressions, scripting.
Boxer - Dynamic Text Boxes Template with a Live Preview

Return to posts index

Brian Betz
on Dec 7, 2019 at 10:14:44 pm

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for your post! I originally was going with a smaller laptop, but the one I currently use is 15 inch and I find it difficult working with After Effects with such a small screen. Also my travel is a bit unique. One is from the den to the living room in my house....simply thought it would be nice to work on material while in the living room at times...thus, not size/weight not that much of an issue. Second, I travel from my house to a cottage we own. Thus, would be just loading the car. Third, when I do fly I tend to stay in one place for a long time. I know this will be a big heavy laptop, but I will just have to "rethink" my carry on. I would rather trade more weight for a larger screen size. Not ideal, but I believe it will serve my purposes best.

Brian

Return to posts index

Brian Betz
on Dec 7, 2019 at 10:19:12 pm

So sorry...Tomas not Thomas....

Return to posts index

Tomas Bumbulevičius
on Dec 8, 2019 at 1:54:36 pm

Hey Brian, excellent explanation which cover the topic, thanks! Not trying to convince you back from 17' as much as I could, but will still do my arguments part here, haha!:
1. To get more room and real estate in the screen, you can always make the most out of 'custom workspaces', which has only those panels on screen, which you really need at the given time. Assigning shortcuts helps to make it flawless!
2. I am sure there are possible options on win too to 'extend' monitor's screen to, potentially - a tablet on side? So you could get a wider view angle.
3. Even though your travel / movement locations makes completely sense in relation to this screen size topic (so carriage is not that much an issue here), but still - if you are looking at 'bulkier' version laps based on specs, it would mean around 4 KGs! If you love to sit and place laptop on your legs, then its also a con.

It would be interesting to hear from someone, who actually owns 17's and have on-hand experience. Maybe my assumptions are way off!

P.S. Tomas, Thomas, Tom - all works just fine, hehe!

Find out more:

Return to posts index

Brian Betz
on Dec 8, 2019 at 4:29:00 pm

Hi Tomas,

I do lift weights and am in excellent physical shape. Nevertheless, seriously, I must say I am a bit taken by the larger display. The specs for the 15 inch say the weight is 7.5 pounds and the 17 is 8.6...I realize without HD's and such. I guess that because my travel typically involves being in one place for a relatively long time I am willing to put up with size and weight in transit for the larger screen.

Brian

Return to posts index

Tomas Bumbulevičius
on Dec 11, 2019 at 8:48:37 am

Hey Brian, in that case - go for it and enjoy the benefits of a big screen !

Leaving the sizing question aside - your other concerns were capacity of the drives. Could you please specify which exactly laptop you are looking at, with model and its full specs? Whether its a gaming type machine, or more sleek design one?

I assume that not all drives will be internal - or nowadays multiple SSDs can be fitted into win laptop with an ease ?? :)))

Find out more:

Return to posts index

Brian Betz
on Dec 12, 2019 at 3:47:15 pm

Thanks Tomas… Yes all internal drives and a laptop specifically designed for content creation. I’ve had fantastic luck with this company in the past (ADK) and my last workstation came from them. Support was outstanding. Here’s a link to the specific model:

https://www.adkvideoediting.com/adk-9710cl-173-laptop-2

17.3" Laptop
Processor: Intel Core i9-9700K 9th Gen Coffee Lake 8-Core 3.6 GHz (4.9 GHz Turbo) 12MB L3 Cache
RAM: 32 Gigs (2x 16gig) DDR4-2400 Sodimm
Graphics Card: NVIDIA® GeForce™ RTX 2060 GPU with 6GB GDDR6
Hard Drive - Operating System: Samsung 500G 970 EVO NVMe M.2 Internal SSD
Hard Drive – Video Storage: Samsung 1TB 970 EVO NVMe M.2 Internal SSD
Cashe Drive - 1TB Samsung 860 or 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]