ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Color export problems. Green high in saturation.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sjoerd Jones
Color export problems. Green high in saturation.
on Nov 13, 2019 at 6:42:02 pm

This is driving me crazy. I have tried a lot of things, but nothing seems to work.

The most weird thing: In the beginning I didn't have problems with the colors until I did and for a slight moment when switching to After Effects 2020 it exported the right way.

In the photo my biggest problem is number 2,3,4. The other differences I don't care about.

I work on Windows 10 and my client has a Macbook. Sometimes when it looks good on my Windows it still looks bad on his Macbook.

Next to that. When I upload it to Vimeo. In the thumbnail I see the over saturated green, but when I play the video I see the almost good green. If I download the HD1080p version I get the good green too. If I download the Original I get the oversaturated green.

I have changed the Project settings/Video Rendering and Effects and have exported different versions.
I have exported in 8bit, 16bit and 32bit.
I have changed the Project settings/Color and have exported different versions.
I have exported with After Effects and Media encoder. H264, quicktime and avi.
When import it back into After Effects it looks good.
I had a call with Adobe support and in the end we decided it wasn't a Adobe software problem.

When I render it out of After Effects to Quicktime Prores 422 watch it in VLC than I see the saturated green. If I export this file h264 mp4 the client sees the saturated green and I don't.
But If I then encode the Quicktime Prores in Media encoder on my other laptop to h264 then I get the good green.

My laptop setup.
- 15,6 inch UHD 4K (3840×2160) glare OLED beeldscherm met 60Hz refresh rate
- Intel Core i9-9980HK Processor (8 Cores, 16 Threads, 2.40GHz, max. 5.00GHz)
- NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 met 8GB GDDR6 & Intel uhd graphics 630
- 64 gb ram

I have no idea whats going on. Hopefully someone has an idea? I am happy to provide or do tests if needed!

Does anyone have an idea what is going on? Maybe my graphics cards? Especially the vimeo thumbnail and HD1080p is super wierd.

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
Re: Color export problems. Green high in saturation.
on Nov 16, 2019 at 6:25:58 am
Last Edited By Chris Wright on Nov 16, 2019 at 6:19:04 pm

lotta variables, but the latest I've read is that quicktime and chrome use gamma 1.96 and VLC uses gamma 2.2.
sometimes you can set VLC to use openGL then it changes the drivers it uses. quicktime has atom tags you can edit to force color profiles.

Each browser sees a different color although you can force some of them to use color management.
your video card has video legal or full range settings if its a nvidia card in its control settings.

You proofed all this yourself when you imported it back into AE. AE will pass through what your monitor sees. If you enable it's display management, it will use your monitor's color profile.

Furthermore, most macs use P3 not sRGB for their color profile. They also use Trutone which you have to disable so they don't autowhite balance. The internet uses sRGB so there may be an issue there as well if the playback software doesn't account for that.

Youtube will usually use the cheap colors codec h.264. you can click edit, then 'retouch' to get it to re-encode to the better VP9 codec colors.

Vimeo will sometimes use video range not full range, especially if you use certain Prores flavors.

Finally, there is no good answer because there is no standard as each OS, site, browser, player, has their own flavor of what is right. All you can do is recommend a viewing 'plan' that you've tested that works.

Return to posts index

Sjoerd Jones
on Nov 17, 2019 at 9:16:25 pm

Thanks Chris,
So I turned my VLC to OpenGL and got the good colours in VLC. Thats a step forward.

So could this be an Intel Graphics problem? I have asked this question too on the Intel forum.

My laptop has a hybrid graphics system (NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 met 8GB GDDR6 & Intel uhd graphics 630)
My client has a Macbook and watches with quicktime (Intel iris graphics 650)

I just don't understand why my client sees the wrong green and the Vimeo thumbnail shows the wrong green.
And now with VLC open GL I get the good green. Is my hybrid Graphics system killing me?
Could it then just be a driver problem? Or a colourprofile problem?

There should be a fix right?

Thumbnail example:
(https://vimeo.com/373768292/52dffe69ce) is

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Nov 17, 2019 at 10:31:38 pm

there's a VLC for mac as well. try that. also, mph-hc supports advanced color management as a player and there's also a madvr lut plugin(if you want to get fancy). macs will have truetone turned on by default with P3, so it would be an interesting test to get them to use VLC openGL and see what happens.

Return to posts index

Sjoerd Jones
on Nov 20, 2019 at 12:10:35 pm

Thanks Chris,

I'm gonna dive into this. Will update when I have more info.

Return to posts index

Antoine Dorni
on Nov 24, 2019 at 9:51:25 pm

Hi,
For Vimeo, did you take screenshot from your browser ? The result also depends on your browser. From my experience colors are right when H264 video is upload to YouTube and browsed with Google Chrome so you could try this setup to check for color shifts

AfterCodecs and BRAW Studio plugins for Adobe CC https://autokroma.com/

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]