ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Auto-Align Text to center

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joel Beebe
Auto-Align Text to center
on Oct 23, 2019 at 3:38:31 pm

Hey!

I'm using the "Scale Up Word" effect, but I want to keep the text aligned to the center of the comp as new words pop in. Right now I'm adjusting the Position and Anchor Point as the new word finishes animating in. This looks how I want it to, but if I want to adjust the text to something else, I basically have to do this process all over again.

Is there something I can do to always keep text centered on the comp?

Bonus points:
Sometimes I like to highlight one of the words with a colored box. If I could pre-comp the text and a box or two, but then somehow still achieve the above effect, that would be incredible.

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
Re: Auto-Align Text to center
on Oct 23, 2019 at 6:34:36 pm

Do you have the text paragraph settings also set to "centered"?

Return to posts index

Joel Beebe
on Oct 23, 2019 at 6:41:57 pm

I do, but the effect just has each word scale up in the position it would normally be.

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Oct 23, 2019 at 6:53:06 pm

Ah got you.
I normally tie the tracking value (set to "before and after") to the scale value via a pick wip and then a slider to adjust the offset.
This way as it scales the tracking also increases keeping everything at the correct distance.

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Oct 23, 2019 at 6:55:20 pm

If that doesn't do it for you can you post a few stills to show what you are getting?

Return to posts index

Joel Beebe
on Oct 23, 2019 at 7:01:07 pm

So here's a final product doing it the way I have been: https://www.dropbox.com/s/p5tuurjhqb416mt/ZebitVideo1_Wide.mp4?dl=0

But here's a shot of what the timeline looks like for one phrase.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wjmsqvoh3wosj7d/Screen%20Shot%202019-10-23%20at%2...

Now, it's not the biggest pain in the butt to animate, but it seems to me that there should be some script that would keep an object centered on screen regardless of how it might change shape. (In my case the text box grows, but I could see this being useful for shapes that change form too.)

Return to posts index

Tomas Bumbulevičius
on Nov 5, 2019 at 10:19:49 am

Setting text in the center is easy by expression - but how to make text boxes to fit highlighted words - thats another level of complexity.

It might be possible by going along this path:
1. Use dynamic text boxes generator:

2. Mask out text boxes which doesn't need to be highlighted. Example: https://i.imgur.com/FABdbAC.png

Yet, still manual work involved.

Find out more:
After Effects Tutorials: motion design, expressions, scripting.
Boxer - Dynamic Text Boxes Template with a Live Preview

Return to posts index

Julien Schickel
on Oct 31, 2019 at 2:33:49 am

Maybe by using the sourceRectAtTime() expression ? It think I doesn't work with an opacity animation, but with scale it might... Worth trying.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]