ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Beam Effect alternative

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Saso Goricar
Beam Effect alternative
on Oct 20, 2019 at 6:44:30 pm

Hello,

I'm creating a callout in AE and I'm using the Beam effect on the line to connect start point and callout. I also checked the Collapse Transformation to continuously rasterize when scaling the callout. But here I have a problem. If I check the Collapse icon on the line, the line doesn't scale. I found out, that effects don't work when continuously rasterize.
Is there any alternative to this? I tried with the line and trim path function, but I don't know how to connect the line with two nulls (start point and end point), that I can move the start and end dynamically with a controller. Is there any expression maybe?

Thanks for the help,
Saso

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
Re: Beam Effect alternative
on Oct 21, 2019 at 11:50:53 pm

In AE 2017 ish and later you have the new "mask points to nulls" feature. So that will give you either the position of the end points of the spline or give you control over the end points of the spline.
This feature, "Create nulls from paths" is found under the Windows menu near the bottom (depending on what extras you have installed).
Choose the mask or spline in the layers and then go under Windows/Create Nulls from Paths and
pick whether you want to control the mask (spline) points with nulls or you want the spline points to control some nulls.
Then you can get your beam ends position info from those nulls.

Return to posts index

Saso Goricar
on Oct 23, 2019 at 6:18:34 pm

Thanks for the solution. I think this will work for me. Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Oct 23, 2019 at 6:33:14 pm

Not sure what kind of call outs you need but with this new method in your quiver check out the Video Copilot saber effect - its Beam on steroids! (if by steroids you mean sizzling glowing light saber steroids!)

https://www.videocopilot.net/tutorials/saber_plug-in/

Return to posts index

Saso Goricar
on Oct 24, 2019 at 8:13:32 pm

This plugin is great, will check out the details. I managed to solve my problem with the "mask points to nulls" feature as you suggested. Thanks again for the help and information.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]