ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Break apart Audio Spectrum

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sean Pyne-Moran
Break apart Audio Spectrum
on Oct 4, 2019 at 6:46:32 pm

Hey,

Is there any way to convert a bar audio spectrum to an animation of separated lines?

I want to send an animation to Lottie using Bodymovin, however it can't export audio spectrums. I suppose I could just draw an animation frame by frame on top of the rendered audio spectrum but that would take a very long time.

I've tried to think of other ways I could accomplish this goal:
1. Delaying trim paths on lines radiating out from a center point that follow various null sliders that are pulled from an audio converted keyframe, however this works in a way that is static. An actual bar graph Audio spectrum would rotate around the center while growing and shrinking (but only within the paths, not fluid animation)
2. Designing it manually

I'm at a loss as to what to do other than manually create it.

Any ideas?
Thank you

Return to posts index

Greg Gesch
Re: Break apart Audio Spectrum
on Oct 5, 2019 at 1:16:05 am

Hi Sean. Using Layer>Auto-trace will give you masks, if that is any good?

Return to posts index

Sean Pyne-Moran
on Oct 7, 2019 at 12:44:59 am

Hi Greg,

I wasn't sure how to do what you were suggesting, however I did figure out a way to accomplish my goal which may take some time to do but worthwhile in the long run.

I can use a linear expression on my trim paths, pointing to converted audio keyframes. Within that expression I can change the last 4 groups of digits to limit their distance and amplitude thus achieving my goal of variability in replicating the audio spectrum. If I applied the same values to trim paths it would look too constant as it animated outward from the center, I needed spikes in speed and limits in how far that would go around the circle.

So as I move around my radius I'll adjust trim path variables of x,y,z, and c.

linear(thisComp.layer("Audio").effect("Both Channels")("Slider"), x,y,z,c);

So far this is working ☺

Return to posts index

Greg Gesch
on Oct 7, 2019 at 1:21:08 am

Hi Sean. What I was suggesting was a way to automate the entire process:
With your Audio Spectrum layer selected go to the top the screen and select Layer>Auto-trace.
A pop-up box will appear select Time Span = Work Area
Make sure the Preview box at the bottom is checked
Then play with the Options area (I used the Red Channel with Corner Roundness at 0% - the Audio Spectrum I used was standard with some added thickness and 0% softness). You will see a preview of how the masks are looking.
Check the Apply to new layer box and OK.
It will take a short time to create a new layer with moving masks which mimic the spectrum.

It would only take a couple of minutes to try this and it may save you headaches and hours?

Return to posts index

Sean Pyne-Moran
on Oct 7, 2019 at 4:46:26 pm

That worked great!

The lottie export is fairly large but that's expected at this point, luckily it can read zip files so we can compress it to 15% of it's original size.

Thank you so much Greg this was exactly what I was looking for

Return to posts index

Greg Gesch
on Oct 7, 2019 at 11:13:21 pm

You're welcome. Glad it worked out for you.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]