ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Matching Anchor Points of Two Objects/Layers

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin Han
Matching Anchor Points of Two Objects/Layers
on Oct 3, 2019 at 10:44:56 pm

Hi,

Is there an easy way to match the anchor points of two different objects? They are of different shapes and sizes but what I want is for their anchor points to be in the same Position.

Thank you.

Return to posts index

Greg Gesch
Re: Matching Anchor Points of Two Objects/Layers
on Oct 3, 2019 at 11:07:28 pm

Hi Kevin. Use the Pan Behind tool to drag them to the same position.

Return to posts index

Kevin Han
on Oct 4, 2019 at 1:57:47 am

Hi Greg,

Thanks for answering. Allow me to clarify my question. I have two anchor points on an object. I need to drag one of the objects to the same location at the other VIA their anchor points. Is there any way to do this?

Return to posts index

Greg Gesch
on Oct 4, 2019 at 2:10:58 am

I'm a bit confused. You can move one object to the other by not moving the anchor points but by using the Anchor Point x/y in the Transform properties - the anchor point will remain fixed while the object itself moves. If that isn't helpful can you explain (or show) what you are trying to achieve.

Return to posts index

Kevin Han
on Oct 4, 2019 at 8:06:39 pm

I'm rigging a character, and for example, I need to place the Skeleton arm to the actual Arm layer and make sure their Anchor points are in the same x,y location or else the rig will become inaccurate. So I'm basically eyeing the location of the Skeleton Arm's anchor point to the actual Arm's anchor point, and using the arrow keys to try to match those two together. It's very tedious and I was wondering if there was a way or a plugin of some sort that would allow me to click a button that would allow one layer to be in the EXACT same location as another layer VIA their anchor point location.

Return to posts index

Greg Gesch
on Oct 5, 2019 at 1:06:23 am

Sorry Kevin, I don't know anything about character rigging - though I would imagine matching pivot points would be a very basic necessity?
Someone with experience might chime in.
In the meanwhile I would:
View/Show Rulers
Drag from the top and side of the ruler to create crosshairs on the target Anchor Point (zoom in)
Move the other layer to line up its Anchor Point with the crosshairs (it may even snap?)
This should be faster.

Return to posts index

Greg Gesch
on Oct 5, 2019 at 2:32:56 am

PS, a lot of people seem to use Duik for this sort of thing (free):

Return to posts index

Kevin Han
on Oct 5, 2019 at 5:30:28 pm

Thank you for the help thus far, I'll try it out~

Return to posts index