ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Question about text effects while using expressions

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Yassel Quijano
Question about text effects while using expressions
on Oct 3, 2019 at 1:04:24 am

Hello everyone!!

I am trying to replicate an effect I saw today, hoping to create a template so I can type any given message on a text layer and not having to worry about changing any of the effects applied to it.

I currently have a text and a dynamic shape which changes size based on the text length. Basically the shape adapts to the text thanks to an expression I added to the layer.

The effect I am trying to achieve is to reveal each character at a time, from the first letter to the last one. The few tutorials Íve found to animate text, keeps the ¨frame¨ of the text the same size of the full sentence, which means the expression keeps the shape size to that of the text frame.

Is there a way to reveal each character in a way so the expression adjust as each character appears?

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
Re: Question about text effects while using expressions
on Oct 3, 2019 at 2:17:57 pm

Yes, you just have to use the same variable you're using to reveal the text in a linear expression controlling the size of the shape from 0% to whatever you're getting from the shape's size calculation's expression.

something like this: 13769_textrevealshape.aep.zip

Cassius Marques
http://www.zapfilmes.com

Return to posts index

Yassel Quijano
Re: Question about text effects while using expressions
on Oct 4, 2019 at 12:42:23 am

Thank you so much Cassius. It worked perfectly! There's a minor alignment thing happening when I change the text, but personally I don't care, the most important thing is that your solution works like a charm.

I had previously used this expressions, which didn't do what yours do.

Under the Rectangle Path:
s=thisComp.layer(“Main Text”);
w=s.sourceRectAtTime().width;
h=s.sourceRectAtTime().height;

[w,h]

Then this expression under the Rectangle Position after aligning the rectangle with the text's left border:

s=thisComp.layer(“Main Text”);
w=s.sourceRectAtTime().width/2;
h=s.sourceRectAtTime().height/2;
l=s.sourceRectAtTime().left;
t=s.sourceRectAtTime().top;

[w+l,h+t]

You are a genius!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]