ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

AE saving location - last project

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marc Nibor
AE saving location - last project
on Aug 28, 2019 at 10:50:19 am

When I open an AE file from folder location No.1 and later save it, it often times does not save the file to the folder I opened it from. Instead it saves it to the folder I made my last save. Sometimes this is a completely different location in another project.

Is this behavior a preference? something like automatically save to last save location instead of saving to location where the file has been opened from?

Is there a way to make sure AE saves files always to the same folder where they were opened from?

Thank you

Return to posts index

Tomas Bumbulevičius
Re: AE saving location - last project
on Sep 1, 2019 at 10:42:31 am

Hey Marc, I would say use 'Increment and Save' saving option. What it does, is writes a new version in the same location.

The reason why I suggest doing this, is that way you have a backup on-hand.

This is accessible by a shortcut ctrl+alt+shift+s.

Also, one more thing - I strongly recommend to turn auto-save feature in the preferences, but do this into a custom location, instead of next to the project. That way you have good source of .aeps in a single folder and can clean up redundant auto-save items easily. Saving into each individual locations, makes it tedious to handle.

Find out more:
After Effects Tutorials: motion design, expressions, scripting.
Boxer - Dynamic Text Boxes Template with a Live Preview

Return to posts index

Marc Nibor
Re: AE saving location - last project
on Sep 5, 2019 at 10:59:20 pm

Thank you Tomas for taking the time to reply.

I actually use incremental save most of the time.... but sometimes I additionaly add something descriptive in the name of a version. This is when the described problem occurs.

I also use Auto save.... but keeping all the files at a central location is something new that I haven't done. It's a great Idea! Thank you!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]