ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

BUYING A MacBook Pro Laptop asking for advice

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lori Newman
BUYING A MacBook Pro Laptop asking for advice
on Aug 17, 2019 at 3:30:15 pm

Hi All,

I presently have a MacPro (late 2013) 3.5 GHz 6-core Intel Xeon E5 and AMD FirePro 500 3GB. This is working really well for me. However, I am going to have to travel more so I need to invest in a laptop.

MacBookPro 15", 32GB as a given, but would a 2.9 GHz, i9 core with Pro Vega 20 be a reasonable amount of power? I don't know much about the graphics cards, but assuming they are critical to the speed. I would appreciate all advice, or if I should just buy a new one.

thanks
Lori

Return to posts index

John Schneider
Re: BUYING A MacBook Pro Laptop asking for advice
on Aug 20, 2019 at 10:25:37 pm

Unfortunately, Apple has been having a lot of build quality issues recently straining from their keyboard to the screen connectors to thermal throttling. I would advise staying away and buying a Windows machine with the same or better specs from a brand like Acer or ASUS. The trackpad is of lower quality on some (nothing comes close to Macs) but buying new right now is a mine field.

I get my updates from a guy called Louis Rossman, who does board level repairs on these machines. If you watch, there was a CBS story published featuring him about a person asking for a Genius Bar repair, being quoted $1200, and having Rossman fix it in 30 seconds for free.

I digress, but nonetheless my advice is to stay away. Always check reviews from proper reviewers; I'd recommend checking out Youtube channels that detail the specs, flaws, etc. LTT comes to mind (Linus Tech Tips)

I'm sorry if this isn't what you were asking for, but that's my take

Return to posts index

Carol Moore
on Sep 1, 2019 at 6:09:40 am

See, first of all, no one can guide you well when you just ask about buying a new laptop without including your use or your job with the question. But, as a general advice, you can go with MacBook Pro if,

1. You are not a traveler (Because of new rules of carrying Apple laptops in flights)
2. You have a great budget
3. You are an Apple fan

Also check out some of the other MacBook Pro alternatives (considering MacBook Pro as an editing laptop),

1. New Dell XPS 15 7590
2. ConceptD 7
3. Razer Blade 15, etc...

Reference: https://mylaptopguide.com/best-laptop-for-video-editing/

Return to posts index

Tomas Bumbulevičius
on Sep 1, 2019 at 10:34:55 am

Carol, any chance to drop a reference about flight compliance with Apple laptops? Thanks!

Find out more:
After Effects Tutorials: motion design, expressions, scripting.
Boxer - Dynamic Text Boxes Template with a Live Preview

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]