ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Getting position values along a shape/mask path

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Will Poillion
Getting position values along a shape/mask path
on Aug 9, 2019 at 12:42:40 am
Last Edited By Will Poillion on Aug 9, 2019 at 12:44:47 am

Hi guys, I was hoping to get some help with something. I feel like it's easier than I'm making it.

I'm trying to create a rig of sorts. I have a simple shape, divided into multiple paths (or masks in this case). What I want is to create a simple 0-100 slider that controls a position value. This position value starts at one end of the path and ends at the other. Simple enough right?

I can offset trim path and move a segment (or a point) along the path, but that doesn't give me the actual position values. And even if I could I really just want a single point along the path, not a segment.

What I'm trying to do is add a particle emitter (stardust) to a point along the path and animate that point along it. I can set the entire path as the emitter as seen on the right, and I can use the trim path functionality to get it down to nearly a point as seen on the left and animate the offset. But it just loops the path over and over which doesn't give me the control I want. More importantly without the position value for where it is on the path I can't attach other things to it. And since stardust only samples the path at a set frame I can't animate the path and have the emitter follow it.

I need some sort of expression rig with two controls, one keyframeable 0-100 slider and one position slider that I can link to from my emitter (or anything else).

Thanks guys! Seems like it should be easier than I'm making it but I'm just not seeing it.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Getting position values along a shape/mask path
on Aug 9, 2019 at 2:01:25 am

You can use the new pointOnPath() property to get the position values you're looking for.

Here's an example:

13633_followthepath.aep.zip

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]