ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Use a Motion Vector-pass to add motion blur with Pixel Motion Blur?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Filip Stillerska
Use a Motion Vector-pass to add motion blur with Pixel Motion Blur?
on Aug 1, 2019 at 1:25:25 pm

How do I use a Motion Vector-pass from Cinema 4D to add motion blur in After Effects? I thought I would be able to achieve this using the Pixel Motion Blur-effect but that only works on the layer that it's applied to.
Any ideas?

The RGBA pass (that I want to add motion blur to).

The Motion Vector-pass.

The Pixel Motion Blur-effect.

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
Re: Use a Motion Vector-pass to add motion blur with Pixel Motion Blur?
on Aug 1, 2019 at 1:31:17 pm

You have to use a plugin that accepts another layer as input. I've used Reel Smart Motion Blur (RSMB) from RE-Vision, been a while since I've needed this so I'm not sure about other plugins that do that (or if any was added by default with AE's newest updates)

Cassius Marques
http://www.zapfilmes.com

Return to posts index

Filip Stillerska
on Aug 1, 2019 at 2:09:26 pm

Thank you Cassius, yes - I've considered Reel Smart Motion Blur since I'm aware that it's a solution to this problem.

However, to be honest with you - I believe that Adobe should just acquire RSMB (from RE-Vision) and Lenscare (from frischluft.com) since Pixel Motion Blur and Camera Lens Blur, After Effects' built-in equivalents, are not that great and also VERY slow in comparison. Having better motion blur and lens blur effects would really make After Effects more appealing for compositors that work a lot with 3D. And yes - I know that Adobe just can't go around and acquire plugins left and right, this is just wishful thinking...

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
on Aug 2, 2019 at 6:07:58 pm

To be fair to them, - since I'm a critic most of the time - they do tend to implement things to the package. Camera tracking, Camera stabilization, LUTs, path point's access and so on were all third party options that now are part of the app.

I'm not so sure this one though is a good one to pursuit. The workflow is not at all optimal, the post application of motion blur leaves artifacts within the alpha region (every time I tried, at least). With current available hardware I see the tendency in getting the computation done the normal way in the 3d app.

Cassius Marques
http://www.zapfilmes.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]