ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Best Mac Setup for After Effects?

COW Forums : Adobe Media Encoder

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
Tom Hardy
Best Mac Setup for After Effects?
on Jul 17, 2019 at 9:21:41 am

Hi all,

I've been animating for a small production company using the same hardware setup for a couple of years now, and fortunately, my bosses have recently decided it's time to get me an upgrade!

We work in an almost exclusively Mac-based office, and despite what I've read about people moving away from Mac in favour of PC setups lately, I'm still pretty dead set on getting a Mac, just for office workflow purposes.

Here's what I'm currently running:

Mac Pro (Mid 2012)
3.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024 MB

It's been a pretty reliable workstation, but nowadays I'm experiencing a bit of slowdown, especially when it comes to opening Adobe programs (After Effects and Media Encoder specifically, although even Illustrator has been suffering from a bit of slowdown lately.)

The 2019 Mac Pro is a little out of budget for us, and from reading a few forums, it seems as though the late 2013 Mac Pro is pretty terribly optimised for Adobe programs, so here's what I'm thinking of getting:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Apple-27-inch-display-8th-generation-processor/dp/... - plus some extra RAM

I'm really a novice when it comes to tech and hardware stuff, so I just wanted to ask - Is this a good Mac setup for the money? Will it be a decent upgrade and last me for at least a couple of years?

Cheers guys.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Best Mac Setup for After Effects?
on Jul 18, 2019 at 2:47:51 am

I'd think about the i7 processor instead of i5, and yes, as much RAM as you can afford.

You should see a pretty noticeable improvement in load times from the iMac's flash storage (instead of the mechanical HDDs in the 2012 Mac Pros).

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]