ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Advice on Price for first freelance work

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Cye Charles
Advice on Price for first freelance work
on Jul 16, 2019 at 3:38:53 pm

So I hope it's ok I post this on here. I just created this account so I can get some help from you guys. Basically I just got my first client for a motion graphics job and i'm not sure what and how I should charge... Hourly, daily or for the whole project. I also read that I should ask the client about his budget. Is that something I should probably consider asking so I can help decide a good price as I don't wanna over charge but I also don't want to short change myself either. My skills are between Beginner and intermediate I'd say. Basically he wants 4 alert animations (pop ups... like share, like etc) id say roughly around 2 - 3 secs long (maybe slightly longer). Also a template styled like the facebook post with number counters and all that. . Im thinking I can do this in like 3 - 4 days. Can anyone advise me on a starting point for pricing on a project like this. Thanks in advance and any questions are welcome if that's gonna help you to help me.

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
Re: Advice on Price for first freelance work
on Jul 16, 2019 at 9:25:30 pm

Asking for the budget is usually works better when you have an ongoing relationship with the client (like agencies and such) so you can do the work accordingly to the pay.

This doesn't seem the case to me, so you'd better ask for what you're comfortable with for 3-4 days of work. You could also consider if you can simplify something and specify that presenting more than one cost.

Giving advice of the amount is hard because we may not live in the same market (I'm from Brazil) and also customs may differ. So take my advice with a grain of salt.

Good luck

Cassius Marques
http://www.zapfilmes.com

Return to posts index

Cye Charles
on Jul 16, 2019 at 9:47:20 pm

Thanks for your reply Cassius. I thought it might have been strange to ask a new client about how much money they are looking to spend so thanks for that. Im actually in UK. So based on the work that I have described and me being above beginner level, what would you charge if you were in my shoes? Thanks

Return to posts index

Cye Charles
on Jul 17, 2019 at 4:16:18 am

Can anyone else offer any help with this?

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
on Jul 17, 2019 at 4:28:48 pm

I agree, asking what they have budgeted is a good place to start.

Otherwise, I'd do this: break down how many hours of work it's going to take, and figure out how much you believe is a fair hourly rate for yourself. Make sure to factor in time for client-requested revisions. That's your quote.

Bill the client hourly; if you finish fast, they get a better price--if they request a bunch of revisions, they'll have to fairly compensate for them. If you are going to go over, especially if it's related to revisions, you can let the client know that they're approaching the budget you've set, and whether they want to allocate more for revisions.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]