ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

AE Preferences File... Guide??

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Royce Jennings
AE Preferences File... Guide??
on Jul 14, 2019 at 8:12:57 pm

Hey guys,

I'm wondering if there's a guide anywhere that explains each of the entries in the After Effects preferences file. (this is easily found under General Preferences, with the reveal button at the bottom) I was changing my TRANSPARENCY_GRID_COLOR 1&2 to darker color values (the last 6 digits are the hex) since the default grid is too bright for me. While in there I found other preferences in the file quite intriguing... Things such as Pref_TREE_WIND_DATA, SOUND_CHUNK_DURATION and ANIMGRID_CELLS_HORIZ have piqued my curiosity.

I found the Adobe Help page on AE Preferences but it merely mentions the prefs file and recommends using the Prefs dialogue box instead. The file controls different feature adjustments than the dialogue however.

Is there a guide anywhere that explains the entries in this file? Or even better, is there a way to bring these advanced adjustments into the GUI? Thanks for any help!

-- Side note if you want to change the values in this file -- After revealing the prefs file you have to close AE *before* you open, change and save the prefs file.
- Also note that to restore the default preference settings, just press and hold Ctrl+Alt+Shift (Command+Option+Shift) while AE is starting.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: AE Preferences File... Guide??
on Jul 18, 2019 at 2:45:56 am

There's no documentation for prefs I've ever seen. Think of that prefs file like an old map: there be dragons! Maybe you can sail through easily, but maybe you'll get eaten.

Make backup copies, and be ready to reset the preferences if Ae starts acting strangely after you experiment. Corrupt preferences can cause bizarre issues.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]