ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Changing a solid from one color to another at different times, abruptly (no transition)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jaym Esch
Changing a solid from one color to another at different times, abruptly (no transition)
on Jul 2, 2019 at 9:21:59 pm

Hi,

I'm an absolute beginner to After Effects, and trying to do a first video that is mostly going to be animated text. I am hitting various roadblocks where I how I feel something should work is not, in fact, the case, and I've wasted too long trying to figure it out myself (even if it is easy in the end, it's just not how I expect it to work!)

So, here's the simple thing I'm trying to achieve:

I have a solid rectangle as the background that starts off light blue. At various times, I want that blue to change immediately to purple, or red. No transitioning between the colors. This will happen more than once over the video.

In other words, the background should have a variable state where I can choose it to be light blue, purple or red at any time.

Right now, every time I try messing with keyframes and effects, the best I get is a slow transition from light blue to purple, for instance.

The only way I've figured out to do this is to create a new layer with a new properly colored rectangle at each point I desire in the timeline, and this is obviously not correct- there has to be a simple way to just flip the background color on one background object layer when you desire.

Thanks for helping me get up to speed with After Effects!

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Changing a solid from one color to another at different times, abruptly (no transition)
on Jul 3, 2019 at 12:28:49 pm

You can use hold keyframes [link] to stop the interpolation between keyframes. Select one or more keyframes for holding, right-click, and choose "Toggle hold keyframe."

Instead of interpolating from that keyframe's value to the next in the time between them, Ae will hold that value until it hits the next keyframe, then instantly change to its new value.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]