need to fix the sky

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dorian Weber
need to fix the sky
on Jun 27, 2019 at 4:56:13 am

Hi Guys,

I am stuck again..!
I have a footage with a dolly shot of tulips. Unfortunately there was a gray sky and quite overexposed. I would like to get a nice blue sky with or without some clouds in it to contrast the yellow tulips.
I am a true beginner in AE . (I know some PR, but as far as I understand, this could only be fixed in AE because of the Motion). Can somebody point me to video tutorial which is not to hard to follow?
I have seen loads of tutorials but the sky the foreground did not move as my tulips.

Many thanks in Advance.

Dorian

Return to posts index

Martin Brennand
Re: need to fix the sky
on Jun 27, 2019 at 6:35:13 am

It depends on the motion:

1. Is any part of the sky have texture detail in the clouds or is it too overexposed?
2. Is there any middle-ground scenery such as mountains?
3. Are the flowers moving a lot or are they stationary?

You can do sky replacment a number of ways (keying, rotoscoping etc) but for a dolly, you're going to need a trackable background to make sure the sky solidly follows the movement of the camera.

Martin Brennand | Product Manager | Mocha - Boris FX (Imagineer Systems)

Return to posts index

Dorian Weber
on Jun 27, 2019 at 7:31:37 am

Hi Martin,

1. there are a little clouds still visible.
2. there are high rising buildings around
3. the flowers actually do not move (or hardly) but the dolly moves (slow) from left to right across

Return to posts index

Jim Arco
on Jun 27, 2019 at 11:41:17 am

You might want to try keying on the luminance of the overexposed sky. Then replace it with footage of a 'prettier' sky. You could probably even do that in Premiere.

Jim

Return to posts index

Dorian Weber
on Jun 27, 2019 at 12:46:08 pm

But the problem is, the tulips move across the background sky.
Yes, if I could darken the sky and then color it, would make a big difference.
Any video tutorials on that?

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Jun 27, 2019 at 2:57:49 pm

[Dorian Weber] "But the problem is, the tulips move across the background sky."

This shouldn't be a problem unless, for some reason, the tulips are the same color as the sky. A screenshot or a videoclip would be helpful.

Return to posts index

Dorian Weber
on Jun 27, 2019 at 11:09:39 pm

not sure if this is the right way to post a video.... :
https://www.screencast.com/t/oYnpeFLhGV

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jun 27, 2019 at 4:38:05 pm

The gray sky is actually going to make luminance keying easier. One thing I would suggest is, using a 2-step process: make a separate layer of the track and push the brightness and contrast settings to make the sky as even white or gray as possible, and don't worry that it's spoiling the quality of the rest of the shot. All you want to get out of this layer is a clean matte.

Then you extract that matte by inverting it, and add it back to a "normal" layer of the tulips pass, and now with those two tracks wedded together, you can key in a bare blue gradient in only the spots where sky would have shown thru. To make that sky better, yes, you will have to add a tracker, then a layer with clues and blue sky.

Some folks will do this in a 3-d comp so they have more control of the angles of that sky shot.

Return to posts index

Richard Garabedain
on Jun 27, 2019 at 4:49:24 pm

show us a screen shot of your video and we will tell you if its possible

Return to posts index

Dorian Weber
on Jun 27, 2019 at 11:11:53 pm

oops, reply should be here....

https://www.screencast.com/t/oYnpeFLhGV

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
on Jun 28, 2019 at 6:14:55 am

Yes, definitely possible. In fact, should be pretty easy. The sky is very clearly separated from the flowers. I would mask the buildings, so that you just need to create a matte to separate the moving flowers and the tree from the sky. Probably one of the RGB channels will work well for that.

Important to choose a very wide angle sky image -- you can see the horizon and the zenith at the same time, so this might be a 120 degree FOV -- and match the perspective so that it looks like it belongs. Since it looks like it is windy, the clouds could be moving. With a still image of clouds I often use the slant effect and keep the horizon in place to create moving clouds. Or find or shoot a wide angle sky video to put in there.

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

Dorian Weber
on Jun 28, 2019 at 8:00:14 am

Thank you Kalleheikki,

please understand, that my knowledge in AE is very limited.
Could you give please me a few more details, so I could search for it?

Return to posts index

John Heiser
on Jun 28, 2019 at 2:54:47 pm

I did just a quick and totally rough luma key to illustrate one issue you'll have making the sky replacement look unified with the foreground. The cloudy sky adds a white cast to the buildings, which would be different if the sky were actually blue. I don't have a solution to this, just pointing it out so your expectations are realistic.

John Heiser
Senior Editor
o2 ideas - Birmingham, AL

iMac Retina 5k, 27-inch, 2017
4.2 GHz i7, 32GB RAM, Radeon Pro 580 8GB
G-Speed Studio TB-2 12TB RAID-5

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
on Jun 28, 2019 at 5:20:33 pm

A simple method would be to use the channel combiner effect. Copy your original footage so you have two layers with the same, add channel combiner effect. Use it to turn one of the RGB channels (the one with best separation between sky and flowers) into a black and white image. Then use levels to make it a mask with the flowers black and the sky white. Add your sky between two two layer and set the top black and white layer as an (inverted?) luma track matte for the sky. You may need to mask the buildings on the mask layer. Or you can mask them on a third copy of the original footage and place them as the top layer.

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

Dorian Weber
on Jun 29, 2019 at 11:09:58 am

thank you John and Kalleheikki for your great advice!
I hope, I will be able to follow your instructions.

Many thanks.

Dorian

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]