ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Remove wrinkles from a dress

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gates Bradley
Remove wrinkles from a dress
on Apr 29, 2019 at 9:24:57 pm

I've searched around online, but haven't found a good technique. I've been tasked with removing the wrinkles from a dress, in motion. The shot is about a second long, and the camera rotates around and sweeps up, pretty smoothly, but there's an angle change.

The dress is below. I've tried content-aware fill. I've tried clone stamp tool. I figure the latter is the way to go, but my technique isn't good enough. Or maybe there's a way to smooth things out by isolating the red channel?

Anyway, this is some stuff that is advanced beyond my knowledge, but would love to learn how.

Here's a still of the dress:

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
Re: Remove wrinkles from a dress
on Apr 29, 2019 at 9:59:20 pm

As far as I know, the technique is "check the dress before you shoot!". In a still, it could be done very easily, but with the angle change, as you describe it, you would almost have to use a 3D package to replace the whole surface. It's not that your technique is not good enough, it's that this is extremely tough to take on.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Gates Bradley
on Apr 29, 2019 at 10:02:33 pm

Yes, it is an unfortunate thing someone didn't catch this on set and it goes to me. Still, if there any ideas out there on how to tackle this that do fall within the capabilities of AE, I would love to hear them.

Return to posts index

Ivan Radovanovic
on Apr 29, 2019 at 11:08:02 pm

- Create " patches" for all areas with wrinkles in Photoshop (with patch tool and clone stamp), of course with very soft edges for smooth transition to original.
- Track in Mocha and apply static patches you have previously created
- Play with Mesh Warp and lights over it for more organic feel (although probably nobody will notice in such short take)
- Apply grain to match original
- Apply grade as adjustment layer over everything

http://twitter.com/#!/disample_dcc

Return to posts index

Gates Bradley
on Apr 30, 2019 at 12:01:14 am

Interesting. I'll give this a shot!

What I just did wasn't perfect, but it did reduce the wrinkles significantly.

1) Isolated the red dress using key/pre-comp/inverted track matte
2) used effect "change to color" on the isolated red dress layer, reduced opacity to 69%
3) masked it to just the most egregious section in the middle
3) duplicated this layer (with track matte)
4) added grain
5) tracked mask on the screen-left arm to have clean shadows, reduced red spill

Definitely a kind of ratchet version that isn't a full fix, but might be good enough for government work (or boring instagram fashion brand work, in this case).

Am still eager to try out your method, Ivan. You suggest making it a 3D layer and using lights to create a more realistic effect?

Here's my results. It actually works better in motion than still:

Return to posts index

Ivan Radovanovic
on Apr 30, 2019 at 1:30:10 am

If you decide to try with patches and Mocha you will use regular 2D layers. Of course, if patch goes outside of target area during motion, you'll probably have to do some roto to fix that.
When I say light - that doesn't have to be real light in AE. Patch will probably be precomp and inside that precomp you can add very subtle white or black solid overlays to mimic highlights and shadows. You can even animate them for more realistic effect.
Again - you are dealing with short take and basically uniform surface, so you can get away with patches and track.
Sometimes even simple blur or median can fix those things (depending on motion).

http://twitter.com/#!/disample_dcc

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on May 13, 2019 at 9:03:19 pm

This might be a job for the new content-aware fill feature...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]