ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Is my client's style guide wrong? Colour matching issue

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Markus Stone
Is my client's style guide wrong? Colour matching issue
on Apr 21, 2019 at 8:33:32 am

The style guide says the logo red should be CMYK 10, 100, 78, 2, which it is, in illustrator.

But, the style guide also says that in RGB, it should be 214, 0, 55 (#D60037), which it's not.

I have tried multiple ways of interpreting the colour in the footage, my project colorspace settings make little difference. I have tried changing the logo from CMYK to RGB inside Illustrator before exporting. Still no luck.

At this stage I'm presented with two possibilities, either;

1) the client doesn't know what their colours translate to in RGB colorspace, or
2) they know very well and have made the choice to tweak those colours for RGB without supplying any logos in RGB colorspace. It doesn't seem right that I should have to manually tweak individual logo colours before using in an RGB space. Is that normal operating procedure?

Cheers
Markus

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Re: Is my client's style guide wrong? Colour matching issue
on Apr 21, 2019 at 6:24:30 pm

I would ask for the RGB version of the logo(s).

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

Robert Olding
on Apr 22, 2019 at 2:19:44 pm

I agree with Kalleheikki and would ask the client for an RGB sample. I would caution that it's possible that the person you have direct contact with may just take a CMYK file, convert it to RGB and send it to you. That scenario would replicate what you could do on your own BUT wouldn't solve the problem.

I would also preface by saying that you'll never be able to match a CMYK color because it's intended for printing on a particular proofing substrate (paper).

All in all, I'd follow the RGB guidelines stated in the style guide. More than likely, it's the color that the client's designers, ad agency, and or design firm intended for anything that is going to be viewed on a screen.

Best,

Robert Olding

Studio Eight | Director of Photography
http://www.studioeightmn.com
Minneapolis, MN

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
on Apr 22, 2019 at 3:28:02 pm

The brand designer should have made both RGB and CMYK version for logos, especially since they've specified the exact colors. So, in all likelihood the correct-colored RGB file already exists. It is another matter whether the client knows where it is stored. One place you can also check is the website of the client, if they are a larger company they may well have the print and web logos in the press section of their site.

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

Markus Stone
on Apr 23, 2019 at 11:52:45 am

In the end, I rang the designer. He just said I should tweak the colours till they match the style guide.

-Markus

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]