ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Continuous gradient on two different shapes

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anne Green
Continuous gradient on two different shapes
on Apr 18, 2019 at 7:56:28 am

Hi all! How are you? Hope you're having some great Easter holidays!

I have two questions for you. If you could please help me out, I'd appreciate it:

QUESTION 1:

I'm animating a forearm and hand in a way that the hand flops outwards to inwards (please see attached jpeg image. Hand = green shape, forearm = pink shape). I would like both shapes to be shaded with one continuous gradient (like you can easily do with Illustrator and its compound path option). However, in AE, I cannot "group" both paths under the same shape since both shapes rotate differently and the result is a mess. How can I do this?

QUESTION 2:

The forearm is a shape which I drew manually and I have animated it by editing the vertices frame by frame, in order to ensure that the joint between the hand at itself remains quite smooth and "cartooney" (please see attached gif file). This takes a lot of time, as you can imagine. Is there a more effective and simple way of doing this? I have the feeling I am missing some method to do this. I've thought about puppet pins, but these don't work properly when the shape changes as it sways. I have also looked into the Rubberhose plugin, but I think I would encounter the same problem.

Thank you very much for your help!

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Re: Continuous gradient on two different shapes
on Apr 18, 2019 at 9:44:10 am

1) Precomp the animation and use it as a track matte for your (circular) gradient.

2) Puppet tool is the easiest solution for this that I can think of. It does require some planning and testing as to what the best rest pose is, where to put the puppet pins and how to connect them (parented nulls are good, except that getting the layer position of the nulls for the puppet pins can be a pain).

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

Anne Green
Re: Continuous gradient on two different shapes
on Apr 18, 2019 at 10:08:16 am

Wow, that was easy! Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]